WWII US Navy SB2C Helldiver flight gear late 1944

northcoastaero

northcoastaero

I recently received a flight manual on CD form about the SB2C-3 and SB2C-4 Helldiver. It appears that the gunner used a RS-38-A hand-held microphone with a straight cable. Still not 100% sure about the pilots microphone. Also, there are drawings of the oxygen masks and cockpit mounted oxygen regulators. The masks appear to be the MSA Type C with the hose attachments to the regulators and not a rebreather unit. Also, the mask face pieces have two straps on each. Would like to see more WWII era photos of the cockpits. The manual is from mid 1944.

northcoastaero,

From late 1943 on, an SB2C crew would have used A-14 masks coupled with Pioneer diluter-demand oxygen regulators. The MSA C mask with rebreather, and MSA D mask with MSA demand regulator, would have both been obsolete by that time even if they are shown in the manual. Technology, in wartime, was moving forward very quickly.​

The RS-38 would have been part of the aircraft radio equipment for both men, but would stay in the plane. As personal equipment, they would have oxygen mask microphones. The pilot could have also been equipped with a lip mic for low altitude flight.

Regards, Paul

northcoastaero

pararaftanr2,

I would like to thank-you and others for input on this topic. I have also noticed that flight gear drawings in later jet age flight manuals do not always show the latest equipment used for the date the manuals were published. You do have a good point. Do you happen to have any additional information from other types of manuals and/or photos about this subject from late 1944 to early 1945?

• 3 weeks later...