TD Ike Opinions?

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I'm posting these for member Knd643 who is at antique store now looking to buy this. What are your thoughts it has a armor collar disk instead of a tank destroyer one is that normal? The patch doesn't glow.

post-104619-0-18879800-1410808549.jpgpost-104619-0-01719800-1410808561.jpgpost-104619-0-86971400-1410808640.jpgpost-104619-0-09483500-1410808656.jpgpost-104619-0-80736400-1410808760.jpgpost-104619-0-64544400-1410808705.jpgpost-104619-0-49989400-1410808783.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Price is $50 I think it's well worth it here's the last pic of some paper he says there's also a few wartime French and German coins.

post-104619-0-35280500-1410809026.jpg

I recently bought a small uniform grouping that has a coat with armored collar brass / patch, but a TD group photo. It's quite understandable how a TD vet might wear armored collar brass. This one looks fine to me, as well.

Thanks guys. It was the first time I did a black light test. I took it to a booth that had 2 or 3 black lights set up to make certain glassware glow and I moved around the glassware and checked to see if it was real or not. I'll take pictures of the coins and post them. How much do you guys think it's worth? Im hoping to be able to find out more about him but I cant seem to find a laundry number or serial number so it's going to be way harder to do. The picture is in a wallet were the coins and assignment slip was. I'll post more pictures of it tomorrow to.

I recently bought a uniform at another flea market in the same town that this Ike jacket is in. The one I bought is named inside the coat to Paul E. Fast, 37516897. The uniform coat I bought is a four pocket tunic with a Armored Forces patch on the left shoulder and T/4 stripes with no overseas bars or "combat" patch on the right shoulder. Which makes me think this was one worn before going overseas. A little research showed that he had served in Company B, of the 748th Tank Battalion. He was born 8 Aug 1922 and died 28 Jan 2014 and was buried in Liberal, MO cemetery. The E in Paul E. Fast is for Eugene, which is what he went by it seems. I saw this Ike jacket and the little wallet or coin purse pinned to the jacket. I questioned if it belonged to Eugene Fast because: 1. It has the TD patch and all I could fine is that he served in the 748th, however he could have been transferred to the TD unit for occupation duty or to rotate home for discharge. 2. The uniform I bought has T/4 rank on it, the Ike has no rank, he could have been busted or just didn't bother to saw rank on a new uniform if he was coming home to be discharged. So, since I could not id the Ike I did not buy it, however I think it is still probably a pretty good buy.

Dan

I recently bought a uniform at another flea market in the same town that this Ike jacket is in. The one I bought is named inside the coat to Paul E. Fast, 37516897. The uniform coat I bought is a four pocket tunic with a Armored Forces patch on the left shoulder and T/4 stripes with no overseas bars or "combat" patch on the right shoulder. Which makes me think this was one worn before going overseas. A little research showed that he had served in Company B, of the 748th Tank Battalion. He was born 8 Aug 1922 and died 28 Jan 2014 and was buried in Liberal, MO cemetery. The E in Paul E. Fast is for Eugene, which is what he went by it seems. I saw this Ike jacket and the little wallet or coin purse pinned to the jacket. I questioned if it belonged to Eugene Fast because: 1. It has the TD patch and all I could fine is that he served in the 748th, however he could have been transferred to the TD unit for occupation duty or to rotate home for discharge. 2. The uniform I bought has T/4 rank on it, the Ike has no rank, he could have been busted or just didn't bother to saw rank on a new uniform if he was coming home to be discharged. So, since I could not id the Ike I did not buy it, however I think it is still probably a pretty good buy.

Dan

Could you post photos of the uniform?

BigDogMilitaria

Thanks guys. It was the first time I did a black light test. I took it to a booth that had 2 or 3 black lights set up to make certain glassware glow and I moved around the glassware and checked to see if it was real or not. I'll take pictures of the coins and post them. How much do you guys think it's worth? Im hoping to be able to find out more about him but I cant seem to find a laundry number or serial number so it's going to be way harder to do. The picture is in a wallet were the coins and assignment slip was. I'll post more pictures of it tomorrow to.

Its probably worth right around the $50 you paid for it. Nice jacket.

The coins and assignment slip were both in his wallet. I couldn't seem to find a name on the uniform.

Hmm Here's a thought.

Theory: As there is another member that claims to have bought a a 4 pocket coat belonging to this guy Fast, a jacket that has Fast's full name and serial # written in it, where the member has researched him down to a specific unit, a Tank Battalion rather than a Tank Destroyer Battalion, and has on it completly different rank and unit patch, this jacket being bought by him from a differant flea market the same town your in. Then perhaps this wallet got separated from the coat thats IDed to Fast, and was picked up for sale by a differant vendor, and just sold along with the Ike you have.

If I am correct, don't think this was really done for any nefarious reasons, sometimes it just works that way, a vendor just throws together items that seem period to each other whether they came together or not, most flea market vendors not really in the know on militaria and junk.

A Veteran friend of mine kept both his 4 pocket coat and his Ike jacket.

On the 4 pocket he had all his insignia/patch of the original unit he served in, on the Ike jacket he had the insignia/patch of the unit he went home with.

So another point is that this soldier was indeed originally with a Tank Battalion and went home with a TD unit.

That could also explain the two jackets with different insignia/patches.

Just a thought.

Erwin

Here are photos the other uniform. Also not sure if this helps, the 4 pocket uniform he has is a size 42r. The Ike jacket that I own is a size 36r.

Two differant soldiers in my estimation, unless one is prepared to say the M1926 was worn first by Fast then the IKE, and he got busted down from T/4 to Pfc, and by the time the war ended lost so much weight, a lot of weight in fact, that he went from a size 42R, which is a pretty large size down to a 36R, which is a pretty small size, but I wouldn't be prepared to say that.