Paul Foynes, Navigator of the D-Day C-47 "The Argonia"

48stars

I met Paul about the year 2000 in Brewster, MA. Cape Cod when I just started getting into this stuff and really had no idea. Kind of a snarky fella but took the time to talk with me explaining how they dropped the paratroopers way off course because they had to high tail it outta there or something to that effect. Sold me these dog tags, a shirt size Luxenburg Navigator Wing Badge, and English made but unmarked full size wing badge, and a ribbon bar. Again I had no idea so I hesitated giving him the 20- not realizing the stuff was worth hundreds. Unfortunately a nearby expert collector talked me out of the full size wings saying they weren't sterling or pilot wings so not worth much. Seeing they were a silver washed brass I believed him and traded for the 6 dollar repro pilot wings from the surplus store. It gets even worse. I had the Lux wings in a small case at the Lowell VA where there was a show, you could set up in the parking lot at the time. Someone lifted them and the ribbon bar while looking through the case. Anyway, this is what I have left of Lt. Foynes.

The Argonia is at the Airborne Museum (Sainte-Mère-Église) La Manche, France. and Lt. Foynes is the guy wearing the helmet and 45 auto under the wing. He was pleased to sign this pamphlet for me with name, rank, and serial# I tried to get the rest of his little box of goodies and I remember him saying with a smile,

"You already got my wings ya dirty bastard"

post-8058-0-16511200-1410799879.jpg

post-8058-0-50160200-1410799923.jpg

Very nice!

Thanks very much for the interest and nice comment. However, I am so very surprised to see that nobody else has replied to such a one of a kind D-Day significant item with impeccable provenance in over 24 hours. How very odd :)

At least there is interest with the auction.

There is a good amount of interest there. Lots of lookers here as well just surprised no comments.

There is a good amount of interest there. Lots of lookers here as well just surprised no comments.

Everyone holds its breath before the final sniping contest... ;)