Sgt Walter Spellman 11th Balloon Co AEF

hawk3370

The attached pic are from the estate of Sgt Walter X. Spellman. Sgt Spellman served with the 11th Balloon Company in France 1918. I received this group directly from Sgt Spellman prior to his passing. The group consist of his summer weight tunic with 1st Army Balloon section patch and Sgt stripes, jodhpurs, helmet, gas mask and case a diary and his picture wearing all this gear. The gas mask case has the names of all the actions (campaigns) he participated in.

post-6022-0-72884600-1410710008.jpg

post-6022-0-78124500-1410710043.jpg

post-6022-0-57431400-1410710096.jpg

Superb group! Were you able to interview Sgt. Spellman when you received these items?

Yes I was, he had a ton of stories and gave me his typed day by day account of his service during the war. One thing he mentioned which I found of interest, was that while waiting in France for their ship to return home the laundry caught fire and all their wool uniforms went up I smoke. As a result the entire unit was issued the summer weight uniform for the journey home which is why this was the only uniform he had when he was discharged. A real gentleman to the end.

Terry

That is a fantastic grouping. Great job getting this Gent's service on paper.

Are the names on the gas mask bag all the places he served while over there?

Semper Fi

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great group, and how cool that it was from one of the Balloon company NCO's !! The trench art helmet and gasmask bag are great pieces by themselves , but even better still together with the uniform,photos,typed history, etc. I have a great variety of groups, but only a few this rare and with the vetreran's personal history attached. The "Diary" gasmasks, like this one, that I have are usually labeled with the places on the side of the bag/flap side, worn toward the soldier in the field. Also, this looks like one of those on which the place names were added as he went along-really cool. I like these so much more than the big trenchart projects done well after the fighting was over! With the trenchart helmet, this is really a great museum piece, and I'm proud for you that you knew the veteran! I'm inspired to start sharing my Doughboy groups more than ever before! Now you're a guardian of this man's history for posterity, and you shared it with us- keep up the good work and thanks!