My new ACH helmet.

1936farmall

Hi all. I been wanting one of these for awhile since seeing ones posted on here. Sadly they are kinda hard to find. I find more of the k pots.

While in a surplus store looking through some k pots I found this one. It is missing the mount and neck straps but was real cheap and in great shape so I bought it. I asked if he had any covers. He said what type. I said any with patches. He found that one so I got it too. Sadly the cover is for small med helmet and my helmet is large but oh well. Later maybe I'll find a med helmet.

What unit is the patch. Looks like 101st which is nearest Army base.

What do you think.

2zyhbvq.jpg

35iwxsj.jpg

52mhhd.jpg

MSA is Mine Safety Appliances Co. from Pennsylvania. They were one of the first manufacturers of this helmet and still make them. It could date from 2004/5 to current. The cover is much newer, I am thinking 2010 onwards. Also I have the head harness and night vision mount. PM sent.

Thanks Sully! I been wanting one of these for 3 years. First one I found except on the net. I love the cover. Owner and I looked through a box of them and found the 101st.

Thanks,

Michael

juodonnell2012

That cover actually works perfectly. My ach that i currently use is a size large but a large cover is too big. I use a size small/medium helmet cover and it fits snug and looks great. I just soaked it in water and stretched it a bit. Most guys in my unit did the same thing as me. We find the large/x large fit large sized helmets loose and baggy and tend to look eight up

I appreciate the information on using the small medium cover on the large ACU. I'll try stretching is like you and your unit did.

Thanks for the nice comments. Anyone know what unit of the 101st the cover came from?

juodonnell2012

Here is MY ach that I've used my entire army career minus the ones i have gotten at RFI. It is a large 2009 contract Gentex helmet. The chinstrap is a 2009 gentex made one made entirely out of webbing instead of the flimsy cloth like most are made of. The cover is a size Small/medium 2009 contract one as well. The cover also has the communication flap deleted. I was issued everything you see here at CIF.

post-5589-0-70002200-1422651879.jpg

I love the pictures of your helmet! Cover fits good and tight!

There are different kinds of straps for these? I'm learning a lot about these helmets. I also thank you for your service.

juodonnell2012

There are different style straps with different makers having variations. Gentex makes an all webbing version that is more durable and keeps it from tangling up. MSA makes ones out of thin cloth material that get tangled and warped and are a b#!ch to wear. Thanks for the kind words. Also i have so many spare ach parts if you need some let me know

I figured I'd post a photo of my helmet as well. It is an earlier MSA I was issued it in April 2005, just after the design was adopted. I've worn it through three overseas deployments.

post-131982-0-80005000-1410784208.jpg

I figured I'd post a photo of my helmet as well. It is an earlier MSA I was issued it in April 2005, just after the design was adopted. I've worn it through three overseas deployments.

Whoa! I need to find one of those covers!