Pre - WW2 Purple Heart Award Cards.

Wharfmaster

Does anyone have a legit. pre-WW2 Purple Heart that has an award card know for certain to be missing ?

Award cards have been located for all my WW1 Hearts to include one that is an unnumbered script engraved PH awarded after WW2.

W

Yes, for a WW I vets hand engraved PH issued in the mid to late WW II years. It is hard to know for certain if the card is missing or the medal was issued so late that they did not create one for some reason.

I have also had a couple of pre WW II cards that took several requests over the years to turn up. My understanding is they think roughly 10% of the cards are misfiled, destroyed, or otherwise missing. I think the vast majority of that percentage falls into the misfiled category, and getting those depends a lot on the amount of effort the person pulling them puts into looking.

For what it's worth, it took three researchers to find a misfiled card for one of my WWI PHs. The first two used the St Louis staff. The third was a good friend who took the time to sort through until he found it. My memory is that it took him over an hour. I suspect that many "unable to locate AGO card" responses are due to this unfortunate fate.

This PH, #56393, James A. Herrin, has been bounced around among forum members and now sits, frustratingly, in my safe. Mr. Herrin has resisted at least 3 attempts to locate his award card. If anyone knows of someone heading to St. Louis who possesses the patience and fortitude to try a comprehensive search, please advise.

post-2661-0-22559000-1410719090.jpg

post-2661-0-47601800-1410719098.jpg

The award card files are not accessible by the public, so you either need a dedicated insider, or get lucky with who you get to pull the card.

This James A. Herrin PH should have a card, so I would keep asking. As I mentioned before, I have had a couple that took a bunch of tries to get. Also, you may never get an award card for him, but you can probably find his unit if you request his VA card. Those cards are on film strips, and are easily accessible.

There is a WW1 vet. named James Arthur Herrin buried in the Oakwood Cemetery, Corsicana TX. 1895 -1952. Pvt., 90th Division. Chances are good it's him.

W

There is a WW1 vet. named James Arthur Herrin buried in the Oakwood Cemetery, Corsicana TX. 1895 -1952. Pvt., 90th Division. Chances are good it's him.

W

Thanks. You are likely right.