USAF breast badge, help?

MattS

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the regulations on when this was authorized for wear? I don't see it in the current regs so it may be obsolete. Thanks!

I would like to know what the real name is for this badge. I saw one years ago in a shop in Omaha and didn't buy it. Got home and turned on the TV and the movie "War Games" was on and it was worn in the movie by some of the actors. Luckily the shop still had it the next time I got there. They also had a badge similar to the center of this one, I think the Security Police at NORAD wore on their berets, it was a different size but both were made by Meyer if I remember corectly.

Good question! The USAF uniform regs, AF-36-2903 being the latest, describes similar insignia in Chapter 10.3 as "Duty Badges and Insignia" and includes the "Presidential Service badge", "Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) identification badge", "Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) identification badge", and the "Headquarters Air Force (HAF) identification badge". I guess the official name was something similar like "North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) identification badge".

SAC wore an enamel shield on the pocket and a version hooked to the button on the blue shirt. Later a round badge with the SAC shield was adopted, but not as big as the NORAD badge. The Strategic Command also wore a badge like SAC's round one. There probably more worn by the Air Force, I have a pocket fob for the 6314th Air Force Advisory Group.

We wore them in the late 80's.

Thanks! Could it be in 1992 when the USAF went through a massive restructuring that this badge went away?

It has long been standard for personnel at top joint or international HQs to wear those kinds of badges. If it's not in the regulations, it's probably locally authorized by the commander. NORAD high command is still wearing the same kind of badge. Here's a picture of a USN admiral wearing it in 2010, and a USAF general dated 2007.

Justin B.