1950's/1960's Fairbairn Sykes

Charles1966

Hello, I posted this question on another site as well and thought I would post it here... I would appreciate a little advice on a Fairbairn Sykes dagger choices... To be specific, I'm looking for a post war, no later than 1965ish (early cold war era) commando type dagger. I have spent hours upon hours, trying to decipher the differences between the various types of F/S daggers. The Cold War era is not my forte however my interest is growing, so I'm having a very hard time trying to tell the difference between a modern repro that has been aged a little and an authentic era piece... The 1st World War is my main area of interest and I could talk at length about A.E.F. edged weapons, so I'm a little frustrated (at very least) about trying to track down a good F/S that's not going to result in a costly divorce. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated... Thanks

My knowledge on these is limited. To my understanding the 3rd pattern has remained pretty much unchanged since WW2. The late/post war ones typically have thinner cross guards. I also read somewhere that ones marked Made in England were put on the surplus market shortly after WW2.

I had one 3rd pattern marked Sheffield England, that came from a Special Forces. He was issued / given the dagger early / mid 70ies.

Regards

Martin

Thanks guys for the excellent info and site references. In a little more than a few hours on these two sites, I've got a good handle on what I'm looking for in a F/S. Great informative reads, thanks again...