Another M37 EM H&H Varient

Brig

Here are three more varients to add to the list. First, found at Raleigh, is an H&H marked piece with a zinc roller. Next is an unmarked identical example with a brass roller and pierced anchor. Third, another unmarked example with no pierced anchor, and a zinc roller. Sadly, no marked pairs. The birds are bolder than the standard M37, and the piece is twice as thick as a typical M37. I'm guessing that these are late-war or immediate post-WWII. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Anyone know of any other varients of this bird? Perhaps a hallmarked piece without the pierced anchor or a clutchback version?

H_H_Varient_Front.JPG

H_H_Varient_Rear.JPG

• 1 month later...

here's one just in on a card. no hallmark. What I find interesting is insignia is spelled with an 'e' at the end

100_0622.JPG

100_0625.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

due to the patina, I was under the impression these were later WWII. However, I stumbled upon these birds from gary (post #3 in topic) that claims they're attributed to earlier WWII Marines. Anyone else discuss this with him at all or have more to say on the topic?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=13310

teufelhunde.ret

I do recall that thread and another which I cannot readily find about these unfinished "mementos"? As I do not recall with whom I had discussed these with, it was concluded these were take home samples or more likely sold to others who mounted them on lighters, buckles and such for retail trade. I believe Gary's reference to those he posted had more to do with the link to pre-war emblems that reveal stronger/taller legs. I believe both the birds he posted and yours shown here show the flange mold - the distinctive mold mark which runs up the back of the emblem, are of the post war variety. My 2 cents...

• 2 weeks later...

here's a nice snag...a cover piece of the same design! Got this CHEAP on eBay. Upon inspecting it, here's my conclusion. These pieces are probably immediately post-WWII, right after lead and plastic ceased to be used, as can be seen by the mold marks on the backs of some of the birds. Also, the garrison cover emblem has an extra-long screwpost...the same length as the longer ones found on the econo-lead emblems. My guess, H&H was using up supplies with these. They're all made by H&H, as indicated by the one collar emblem that is marked.

Very nice, very bold, thicker than normal emblems. I absolutely love these birds, and have a single dress collar emblem coming, unmarked. My guess, there's a dress cover emblem somewhere, too. So dig through those cases and look closely guys and see if you've overlooked this style in your M37s...

Bold_37_Front.JPG

Bold_37_Rear.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

I agree with your conclusions, its appearance is just to close to the hallmarked collars to be a coincident. s/f Darrell

probably a transitional design, before the glossy finish was used, but after the war when brass was taken off the restricted material list. And the econo-lead long screw is a pretty convincing factor to me that they were just using the remaining stocks. Very nice pieces

I have a dress collar emblem coming, so who knows how many dress variations there are. There are at least 4 service collar emblems that I know of. H&H marked pierced anchor, unmarked pierced anchor with die mark on back, unmarked pierced anchor without die mark on back (another transitional clue?), and unmarked unpierced anchor with die mark

I wonder if any marked cover emblems exist? And a dress cover emblem?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a dress emblem marked Robinson, I don't think so. I think these cover emblems looks far too much like the above collar emblems, which are definately H&H (a couple are marked such). I did see one recently on an inspection cardboard with a bunch of M56 emblems, so maybe they were around post-WWII (as indicative by the extra long lead-type posts on one of the covers) until right when the 56 versions were introduced