Lets see your WWII C.B.I. Bracelets

rustywings

With the map of India and the image of the Taj Mahal facing in one direction, it appears the Airways Communication Systems logo is upside-down? Intentional? I don't know...but I envision the GI who ordered the bracelet loaning a ACS DI or ACS patch to the local craftsman to copy...and this was the end result. Regardless, it's a cool piece of history.

IMG_5806.JPG

More wonderful stuff. Interesting that the majority of these bracelets do not have the GI's name engraved. Suggests to me that they were purchased and worn as "bling' rather than "i.d." bracelets or to be sent home as jewelry to sweethearts. Just wondering..............Loved looking at this WONDERFUL collection. Bobgee

• 2 weeks later...

No bracelets-- too rich for my blood.

I do have several CBI rings that may be of interest. They show the same style of engraving and enamel work as the bracelets.

Here are two of them that I have photographed (I'll see if I can dig up the others later):

post-124583-0-83355400-1411657070.jpg post-124583-0-65434900-1411657106.jpg

Here are some showing the sides of John's ring with "India" and "1944"

post-124583-0-64814800-1411657129.jpg post-124583-0-29769500-1411657149.jpg post-124583-0-58143800-1411657087.jpg

Scott

Thank you Scott. I appreciate your CBI ring images and look forward to seeing the others when you have the time.

To have a CBI-made bracelet around your wrist and a ring around your finger must have been viewed as real symbols of pride! Especially when worn after returning home.

Here's a couple of images of my two CBI rings:

IMG_5879.JPG

IMG_5880.JPG

Russ I'd been waiting to see your CBI bracelet collection forever and can't believe I missed this! Awesome collection and far exceeded what I was expecting. being a wing collector I especially like the 2nd wing bracelet with the unique chasing. Thanks for posting such a great collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my only contribution that I found at a flea market a while back.

Tonomachi, thank you for posting images of your highly detailed CBI bracelet. Even though it was most likely made in India, the design has almost a southwest Navajo artistry to it. Very cool piece!

Hell Rusty - MODEST? I couldn't reach your modesty threshold on my best day!

No wonder I haven't found one of these at a show in the last 25 years! Nicely done - thanks for sharing!

• 2 months later...

Hell Rusty - MODEST? I couldn't reach your modesty threshold on my best day!

No wonder I haven't found one of these at a show in the last 25 years! Nicely done - thanks for sharing!

John, thank you for your generous response. I believe there's still a few of these unique CBI-made bracelets out there, but the prices have skyrocketed beyond reach in most cases. I haven't encountered any reproductions yet...but I'm sure those are not far down the road!

Here is one I got a while ago. The seller found it in the pocket of a C.B.I. uniform which I didn't win. The inscription on the back reads China Honor Effort.

post-24366-0-84377000-1421896996.jpg

• 2 weeks later...