The Ever Elusive Vietnam OD Towel

capa

I would love some opinions on this towel. I have had it since the 80's but am unclear as to if it's an 80's manufactured or earlier.

Edit:my pic is to big to post. Will a have to try a link.

Let's try this again.

Thanks for the resize Patches!!

post-534-0-21825100-1421298738.jpg

Here's one of two identical towels that were given to me by a man who had been in the Army in the early '60s-he had brought home all sorts of new,unissued gear, and stashed it in his attic,where it remained until he saw my Weapons Carrier at a vehicle show, and he asked me if I wanted all this stuff. Both these towels are made by Cannon.

http://s253.photobucket.com/user/jeep442007/media/IMG_0752_zps0004a479.jpg.html

boyt44, I took the liberty of capturing one of your images to post here, it's a very fine example that deserves posting.

post-34986-0-10237600-1421554712.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just an observation: the OD towels on Hayes' site don't conform to the specimens pictured above. The brown towels look legitimate but I'm pretty sure they don't date any earlier than the mid-80s.

I have 2 original towels, one is green and the other appears to be the same towel only it's been stonewashed to the point of it turning brown. I also have washcloths, boxer shorts and a t-shirt that turned a similar brown color. I was told they all came from the same vet, no way to be 100% sure but the shirt and shorts do match dated green examples in construction. With that being said though, I agree that the above towel is modern. anything from the era in that shade of brown would have to be in extremely used condition.

When I was there it seemed like all the light green stuff turned to light brown except helmet covers (they faded whiter, at night it looked like follow the bouncing ball). I found this set of jungle boots for sale on e-bay. They are the color that all of the light green turns to IMO. Dave

post-152973-0-91930600-1422811406.jpg

When I was there it seemed like all the light green stuff turned to light brown except helmet covers (they faded whiter, at night it looked like follow the bouncing ball). I found this set of jungle boots for sale on e-bay. They are the color that all of the light green turns to IMO. Dave

Yeah like a lot of the ALICE gear, back in the late 70s early 80s, a color I always though looked like a weird maroon-ish color

439th Signal Battalion

Nothing that hasn't been seen/posted already, just some more pics of the towels in use. Note, however, the different shades of green. (Pics are all 199th LIB personnel in 1970).

By the way, anyone for tennis? I love the way the soldier on the right has cut the top off of a field cap and wears it as a GI modified visor.

post-4009-0-78292000-1422819272.jpg

I love the way the soldier on the right has cut the top off of a field cap and wears it as a GI modified visor.

That is very cool! I never would've noticed that if you didn't point it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few left from a stack I bought from a militaria dealer about 20-25 years ago; he was selling them as Vietnam issue towels. This one is bright green and is used and measures 38 x 20 inches. No tags or markings.

towel.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Grenadier2002

I have been using these to fill my WW2 kit until I find the correct ones. Do you think these may be Vietnam era too?

post-156128-0-02377800-1435006788.jpg

I have been using these to fill my WW2 kit until I find the correct ones. Do you think these may be Vietnam era too?

Could be, also could be from the 50s up to the early 80s, think at one point they started making Brown ones for the Army, you know when the Army swithed from OD T-Shirts to Brown ones

Grenadier-those are Post -War European, most likely German. The loop sewn on the end and the loop pile indicate not USGI.

• 4 years later...
Gary Ziegler

For such an iconic object, and one that was common for that matter, finding a Vietnam era Olive Drab USGI towel with solid provenance is proving to be a real challenge. I own an issue od towel, but am beginning to think that it may be WWII and not Vietnam.

So, here's my question to my fellow forum members-do you have an issued Nam towel in your collection that you could share information about?

Here is what I do know/feel comfortable is correct:

1. A single band at the end is the common characteristic. I have seen at least one in a photo with a band a few inches in from the end. But just one.

2. They appear unmarked.

3. They do not have a tag. Current issue/later ones have a tag with Made in USA; RN 8416; ALL COTTON.

4. Measurements are approximately 20 inches by 40 inches.

Thanks in advance!

Photo by Charlie Haughey.

I have 4 towels that are identical with regard to size, which is approx. 20" w x 40" l, with a single 2" wide band at each end. The most distinguishing variation is the color. Based on distinct characteristics on each towel, I'm certain that all 4 were manufactured in the US and were USGI. In the photo, note that the top two have a distinct laundry number - in the US military format - stamped on the 2" band at the end (B-1112 and P-9753). Both of these number's are valid and were initially issued during WWII. Towels 3 and 4 bear the distinct CANNON trademark "MADE IN USA" label. Interestingly, one of the CANNON labels is white and one is OD green.

post-128769-0-02821400-1564429914_thumb.jpg

There is a guy on eBay he goes by bagless , he is from greece and is a very reputable person he has some of the cannon made towels they are very nice mike

Gary Ziegler

The most distinguishing variation is the color. Based on distinct characteristics on each towel, I'm certain that all 4 were manufactured in the US and were USGI.

Variations in color, OD Towel, Republic of Vietnam, May 1970. Photo courtesy of 439th Signal Battalion.

post-128769-0-68363800-1564431560_thumb.jpg