Request for Assistance Identifying Knife

Clayton

Gents;

We have a knife we cannot identify. Overall length is 13.5 inches, the brass crossguard is stamped, "U.S. 37/MC/569.". Could anyone identify this knife?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Clay

post-35523-0-46729900-1410287260.jpg

Is the steel magnetic? Stainless? Handle brass or wood? Looks like wood handle, stainless and I would venture to guess non-magnetic. If all is true, I would say it's a good chance it's a dive knife. Looks similar to a dive knife in the Army Engineer museum at Fort Leonard Wood. Not identical but similar.

Well, it appears this is some kind of military diver's knife with a magnetic blade.

We always thought it was probably WWII vintage but perhaps its earlier. Would anyone have an opinion as to the age of this knife?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Clay

It does resemble a diver's knife. I personally know very little about these, so can't give any real information.

Years ago I owned a somewhat similar knife, which I sold to a serious collector of dive knives. He said it was pre-WW1 maybe as early as 1900.

Blade marked as shown. Back of solid brass sheath has similar mark but hard to read.

U.S.E.D. I believe is US Engineer Department. Not sure of the CE - C mark.

post-66-0-13769600-1411053944.jpg

post-66-0-43842000-1411053996.jpg

Guys;

I think we have some type of diver's knife here.

I really appreciate your help on this one. Many many thanks to everyone who read and responded to this request for help.

Our very best regards to all,

Clay