• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
    • Member ID: 122,868
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

I am going to get into collecting WW2 CAP patches now. If you do not want yours, I'll pay shipping, if you want to donate them to a worth cause! They will make their way onto a future quilt of mine. 

I've noticed that there is not much info out there on CAP. If there is, please point me into the direction of a particular book, so that I can be enlightened. 

Post your photos here, and then later, I will re-organize them in State/Territory order. Thanks!

#2 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

I have had a busy two weeks picking up these. I have paid between $4.50-6.00 per patch with the Anchorage Sqn costing around $10. All of them besides the Rhode Island patch have beautiful WW2 era cotton backs on these whereas the RI one appears to be 50s-60s. I could not tell with the auction photo. Still a bunch more to go. I already have a NY one on my quilt that I will replace with another aircraft manufacturer. 

Let me know if you have some that you no longer want. 

cap lot.jpg

Edited by ocsfollowme, 19 September 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#3 vzemke

vzemke
  • Members
    • Member ID: 781
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Are you sure these are "WWII"?  I have always been under the impression that these designs were not used until the 1950's and later.

Either way, collecting all of them in the nice early cut edge style will be fun, as some of them can be slightly harder to find.

Edited by vzemke, 19 September 2014 - 02:44 PM.

#4 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

I have no clue if they are WW2 Vance or 1950s!

I've been searching for a resource one CAP but have yet to find anything. Some of the designs have changed over the years, but many have remained the same. I was searching for cut edge, all cotton backs and these were what I was able to find already.

Regardless, if they are 1950s or post WW2, for a set of 50 I think I can put it together eventually for $5 each. Will take time...but no one really collects these...so they are super cheap. 

#5 vzemke

vzemke
  • Members
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

There is a CAP reference book out there somewhere, I think the author was a member here at one point.  IIRC, it wasn't exactly widely published or distributed.  He might still be a member here.   Its hard for a thread like this to get much visibility since the mods went and "Balkanized" the patch forums.  

-Vance

#6 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

Scan.jpeg

Thanks to Vance for these. 

#7 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

Here is a super snowy back NY CAP patch. No glow. Really looks like this could be WW2. 

NY CAP.jpg

#8 vzemke

vzemke
  • Members
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

I'm still looking for reference to the book I mentioned, but here is a fellow collectors website you might find helpful and interesting: http://www.civilairp...info/index.html

It lists the NY patch as being authorized in 1950.  If so, it would be yet again another example of how "snow" is NOT a solid indication of "wartime" production.

-Vance

#9 vzemke

vzemke
  • Members
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

Yet more: http://www.scribd.co...g-Patch-History

This article states that CAP Wing patches (what most of us know as "state" patches) were first authorized in 1948 and required in 1955.  The NY patch appears to have been designed at some point around 1950.

Edited by vzemke, 26 September 2014 - 12:31 PM.

#10 Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,068
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

Facebook has a real nice Civil Air Patrol History page I'm sure you'll like if you haven't seen it yet..............

Johnny

#11 Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

Deceased Forum Moderator

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 83
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

There is a CAP reference book out there somewhere, I think the author was a member here at one point.  IIRC, it wasn't exactly widely published or distributed.  He might still be a member here.   Its hard for a thread like this to get much visibility since the mods went and "Balkanized" the patch forums.  

-Vance

The reference you are looking for is "THE COLLECTORS CATALOG OF CIVIL AIR PATROL INSIGNIA 1942 - 1985" by Lee Ragan who is a member here. The "balkanizing" was decided and done at a much higher level than the average Mod. :D :D

Garth

#12 pathfinder11

pathfinder11
  • Members
    • Member ID: 119,918
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:29 AM

I run the CAP history program, and I can steer you towards reference materials on CAP patches and other insignia. Just send me a private message and I can email assorted monographs, etc.

To start out with, I recommend you consult these three volumes:

http://history.cap.gov/files/show/601

http://history.cap.gov/files/show/602

http://history.cap.gov/files/show/603

#13 lamarhooten

lamarhooten
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,643
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

Here is a super snowy back NY CAP patch. No glow. Really looks like this could be WW2. 

attachicon.gifNY CAP.jpg

Looks like an early Gemsco made piece. NY was the home to LaGaurdia and he was the first 'director' so this might be an example of the very first ones made.

#14 Flyboy1945

Flyboy1945
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 144,660
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:21 AM

I'm still looking for reference to the book I mentioned, but here is a fellow collectors website you might find helpful and interesting: http://www.civilairp...info/index.html

It lists the NY patch as being authorized in 1950.  If so, it would be yet again another example of how "snow" is NOT a solid indication of "wartime" production.

-Vance

These were most probably made with the same embroidery machinery used in WWII.

#15 PATCHRAT

PATCHRAT
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,604
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

here is a less common IL. CAP  to keep an eye out for.

Attached Images

• CAP_IL OD - Copy.jpg

Edited by PATCHRAT, 10 July 2016 - 12:54 PM.

#16 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:32 PM

I run the CAP history program, and I can steer you towards reference materials on CAP patches and other insignia. Just send me a private message and I can email assorted monographs, etc.

To start out with, I recommend you consult these three volumes:

http://history.cap.gov/files/show/601

http://history.cap.gov/files/show/602

http://history.cap.gov/files/show/603

These are neat.

Vol. II in particular shows a number of state wing patches, some of them authorized as early as 1948 and 1950.  That explains the "WWII embroidery".  Unfortunately a number of the illustrations are obscured due to poor photo copies, but it is still one of the best sources I've seen to date.

#17 Gerradtgrant

Gerradtgrant
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,939
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

I am going to get into collecting WW2 CAP patches now. If you do not want yours, I'll pay shipping, if you want to donate them to a worth cause! They will make their way onto a future quilt of mine. 

I've noticed that there is not much info out there on CAP. If there is, please point me into the direction of a particular book, so that I can be enlightened. 

Post your photos here, and then later, I will re-organize them in State/Territory order. Thanks!

I past on these yesterday for $3 a piece and now I am kicking myself over it. Are they worth going back for? I especially love the Texas patch. Posted Image

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk

#18 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

I have never seen the dragon wing patch before. That could be worth $3 for sure! Depends on what it looks like on the reverse. The others are nothing special. 

#19 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

The reference you are looking for is "THE COLLECTORS CATALOG OF CIVIL AIR PATROL INSIGNIA 1942 - 1985" by Lee Ragan who is a member here. The "balkanizing" was decided and done at a much higher level than the average Mod. :D :D

Garth

Yes, I'm the same guy who did the catalog on CAP insignia back in '85. As far as I know, CAP does not  have any of those catalogs left. It's been out of print for over 20 years now. The other guys are correct in that the first wing patches came out in the late 40's and by the mid 50's were required. As of today, there have been several changes and some wings have had as many as 3 different designs. Others have had minor changes and even some size differences over the years.

If you need dates of authorization on these, Send me a PM and I'll try and get that info back to you. On a few of them, we never found the date they were authorized, but on most of them we did.

Also, you can let me know what wing patches you are missing and maybe I can help out some. I still have a few duplicates. Good luck in collecting these.

#20 Gerradtgrant

Gerradtgrant
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,939
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:53 AM

I have never seen the dragon wing patch before. That could be worth $3 for sure! Depends on what it looks like on the reverse. The others are nothing special. 

Wasn't necessarily saying they were special. Since I was able to pick up some CAP wings I have been fascinated. I agree I really liked that dragon wing patch. Posted Image
They had these as well but I didn't like the price on them.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk

#21 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,043
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

Yes, I'm the same guy who did the catalog on CAP insignia back in '85. As far as I know, CAP does not  have any of those catalogs left. It's been out of print for over 20 years now. The other guys are correct in that the first wing patches came out in the late 40's and by the mid 50's were required. As of today, there have been several changes and some wings have had as many as 3 different designs. Others have had minor changes and even some size differences over the years.

If you need dates of authorization on these, Send me a PM and I'll try and get that info back to you. On a few of them, we never found the date they were authorized, but on most of them we did.

Also, you can let me know what wing patches you are missing and maybe I can help out some. I still have a few duplicates. Good luck in collecting these.

I really dislike a lot of the new wing patches.  I also didn't like it when they did away with the Captain Crunch ribbons.   Call me a traditionalist, I guess. 

-Ski

#22 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:38 AM

I really dislike a lot of the new wing patches.  I also didn't like it when they did away with the Captain Crunch ribbons.   Call me a traditionalist, I guess. 

-Ski

I think they should have kept the original designs in most cases. A few of the new designs were a BIG improvement over what they might have started out with. Ya can't please everybody!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users