ACID TEST NAVY CHEAP BUY

Costa

never seen one go that high on ebay...

I've never paid over $10 for one.

nice one though! I think I forgot to bid. ;)

-Brian

on a side note I see some people saying USN full-sized wings are valued at $75+

I would like to know who pays that for a set?

The oversize anchor is certainly an anomaly. With those small berries in the shoulders, I don't believe this piece pre-dates WWII...

Are all of very small wings cap badges ? I realize that is a loaded question , I am referring to the 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch that are not obviously sweetheart . Further I don't see that many caps or photos with the small wings. Costa that is as good a bargain as you can get. Congrats Mike

The oversize anchor is certainly an anomaly. With those small berries in the shoulders, I don't believe this piece pre-dates WWII...

very good point, sir!

I don't think any of the cap badges were "approved" but would have been those sizes when worn. I don't think it was common to wear them like that. I personally wonder if some of these small wings might have been worn on "civvies", like the lapel of a suit ?

-Brian

To further Russ and Bob's point, it was extremely common till probably the 60's, for Naval Aviators

to wear the 1.5 inch cap wings as the photo of "Bull" Halsey shows.

There is always great confusion when dealing with smaller wings, because of the quick call of

many collectors and dealers to say "sweetheart" piece.

Personally, the smaller USN wings that I have seen with a small loop for attaching a chain, are the only

ones I would call a sweetheart piece.

Clearly, a USN 1.5" wing could also be worn on a suit lapel or even on a tie (I fly with a guy that does just that).

The pictured wing in my estimation, was made by Amcraft during WWII for wear on a cap.

Remember in USN wings, 2.75" = Shirt/Coat size, 2.0" = Mess Dress size (not shirt size like the Army), 1.5" = Cap size

Nice wing badge!

Best, John