M1917 US Bayonet & Sheath Not As Usual What Is It ?

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

I went to Yard Sales this morning, at one I met a man who was helping his relative with their moving sale. I inquired about Militaria and he said he had a WWI bayonet at his home around the corner. We went over, the sheath looked fine to me but I never saw one with black plastic checkered grips or the cross guard secured by hollow rivets. These are still common so I thought why would someone reproduce it as repro would have to cost as much as a real one. The eagle in a rectangular stamped with white ink is on the scabbard and the cross guard. It looks familiar but can't place it (almost like the one on WPA and Civilian Conversation Corps.). Could it be experimental, or ?? Any info appreciated. Richard

post-15934-0-88970300-1410027569.jpgpost-15934-0-57837200-1410027593.jpgpost-15934-0-32580600-1410027614.jpgpost-15934-0-70009400-1410027625.jpg

suwanneetrader

I wonder if it could be later, as when I asked him if he had any Medals he said yes and kind of broke up. His brother was a Marine Machine Gunner killed in Fallujah. I just told him I was very sorry and he must be so proud of him. I did not ask him anything else about anything except his relative moving etc. Richard

Last issue of the M1917. These were made during Vietnam for whatever trench guns were still in service. There were two companies that made these, and both are quite valuable. This one is in excellent shape and could bring $275+.

Hi,

Nice bayonet. If you look at the cross guard, there will be a "C" surrounding an "A". That is the mark of Canadian Arsenals LTD. The eagle and stars is the US acceptance stamp. Collectors call it a DAS for Defense Acceptance Stamp. The contract to make these came in 1969. The only other maker of this bayonet was General Cutlery. The scabbard was made by Beckwith-Arden. Again, nice bayonet!

Marv

suwanneetrader

All info is appreciated. At least this time I bought something I was not sure about and evidently did very well. I wonder if there might be a member with a "Real" 1917 WWI thru 1940 helmet with period applied EGA for trade with me? :D Richard