My First Western Bowie

thorin6

Picked this up this past week, I've been looking to add one to my Vietnam era collection. It has the small rivets and stamped on the blade "WESTERN" over "BOWIE" over "U.S.A.". The securing strap is damaged, but it has a nice tie. I have no idea about the skull and crossbones on the front of the sheath, and it has the name "J.C. Gilliam" and the number "1919242" on the back.

post-11546-0-84752000-1409969669.jpg

I'd also like to thank all those folks that posted information about the Western Bowies on this forum; it was a great help in deciding what to go for.

Patchcollector

Very nice!I believe that the insignia on the sheath may be for a foreign unit,Commonwealth IIRC.

Just an update;I found the unit that the insignia belongs to.Here is a link to info about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Royal_Lancers

Not sure why,but the link I posted won't work.Anyway,it's the "Queens Royal Lancers"

That is just a fantastic set...

The blade condition is beautiful...

The bowie scabbards are just the best...

How will you display it?

On a mannequin?.. or hanging?...or as part of a grouping?

Patchcollector

Not sure why a Western Bowie would have the insignia of a British unit that fought in Iraq in 2003.

Probably just the cool factor of a skull and crossbones.As for the unit,I found this info:

The regiment's nickname, the 'Death or Glory Boys', comes from their cap badge which is known as "the motto".[2] This is the combined cap badges of the two antecedent regiments, and features a pair of crossed lances, from the 16th/5th Queen's Royal Lancers, together with a skull and crossbones, below which is a ribbon containing the words 'Or Glory'. This comes from the 17th/21st Lancers, and was the cap badge of the 17th Lancers (the original 'Death or Glory Boys').[1]

So it may be the 17th Lancers,which dates it's lineage to the 1700's.

Yep, Its the British cap badge of the 17th Lancers, which was chosen by Colonel Hale in honor of General Wolfe -KIA and for the admiration of his men in their victorious actions in the Battle of Quebec (1759). Perhaps the previous owner fancied the "Death or Glory" connotation attached to the cap badge.

That is just a fantastic set...

The blade condition is beautiful...

The bowie scabbards are just the best...

How will you display it?

On a mannequin?.. or hanging?...or as part of a grouping?

It will most probably be displayed as a grouping of Vietnam uniform, headgear, boots, web gear, etc. One of these days I will put together a mannequin, but the Vietnam stuff will have to wait until I finish WWI, WWII ETO, WWII PTO, and Korean War.

Yep, Its the British cap badge of the 17th Lancers, which was chosen by Colonel Hale in honor of General Wolfe -KIA and for the admiration of his men in their victorious actions in the Battle of Quebec (1759). Perhaps the previous owner fancied the "Death or Glory" connotation attached to the cap badge.

Sort of my thoughts.

It will most probably be displayed as a grouping of Vietnam uniform, headgear, boots, web gear, etc. One of these days I will put together a mannequin, but the Vietnam stuff will have to wait until I finish WWI, WWII ETO, WWII PTO, and Korean War.

I hope you can snap some pics off when this grouping is done...