Indian War Purdue Cadet uniform ?

skipproo1

Greetings,

I bought this uniform as one set, I'm not sure if all parts belong together. It was sold to me as Purdue Cadets Indiana. All I know is that the Purdue University started in 1888. I can't find any pics of this uniform at all. I tried to look under Militia in case this is not a Purdue Cadet uniform found nothing. The kepi and jacket were made by “The M.C. Lilley & CO. Columbus Indiana” I know that when Mitchell C. Lilley died in 1882 the name changed from “M.C. Lilley & CO.” to “The M.C. Lilley & CO.”, there fore the kepi and jacket is more than likely after 1882. The collar of the jacket is hand sewn, so I don't know if the collar is original to the jacket but it seems to be. The jacket has a repair at the back right near the under arm area that has faded to a greenish colour. There are three cuff buttons and two inside pockets. I found no info of the rank or the button style (time era) of the kepi or jacket, both Indiana State Seal buttons. I found no info on the kepi with the style of the two crossed rifles. The embroidered version was I believe introduced in the mid 1870's. P.C. Could be “Pioneer Corp” if not “Purdue Cadet”. The pants that came with the uniform how ever catches my eye. They are of light sky blue color very worn. It's the pattern and making of the pants that make me believe these could be from an original Civil War pair of pants, that could have been converted to match the later time period. Everything is consistent (except of the later metal buttons and white stripes) with the making of a Civil War pants southern made or imported, particularly the waist buckle at the rear. It is southern style no doubt. None of the M1880's buckle matches mine that I could find. There is still one original button on these pants. The pants seem to have been folded a couple of times to changed the length over time without cutting of the end. No back pockets as seen in the 1880's model. I tried to match the pants with the M1880's, found no clear match (except stripes and metal buttons). The uniform came with a bayonet and scabbard. The bayonet is no doubt a 45/70 possible M1873. The scabbard how ever, from the information I found is pre - Civil War ca. 1845 and later used by the confederacy for the Hall Rifle. The 45/70 bayonet doesn’t fit in the scabbard correctly, the blade shoulder of the scabbard that reaches the frog is wider than that of a standard 58/69 cal. Springfield bayonet or 45/70 and could match a Hall bayonet. The frog is leather not tarred webbing and is two pieced. There was a second belt loop on the frog for the shoulder strap near the blade shoulder. Over all I really don't know what I have even after intense research. To many variables could come into play with such an old uniform. I have a lot more pics if required as I can only upload so many.

Many Thank

Skip

post-64565-0-41380300-1409774727.jpg

post-64565-0-95435000-1409774727.jpg

post-64565-0-54042700-1409774728.jpg

Great uniform! I'm not sure about it being from Purdue however. All of the post 1900 examples that I have seen have used "PU" not "PC." However I am still trying to find pre-1900 examples.

I'm wondering if it is more of a local Indiana Legion unit. The Indiana Legion is the predecessor of the Indiana National Guard. In any event, I like it!

Found it! You were correct all along. It is a Purdue uniform. In the 1895 copy of Purdue's yearbook, Debris it describes their cap device. Interesting that the used the Indiana state seal buttons, the later uniforms use the P.U. initials also. Boiler Up!

post-203-0-86871700-1409857999.jpg

twisted gold wire cord chinstrap

First, I wish to thank all of you for your comments and interest with my post. Mostly, to bow our heads and honor the souls of all those who served, past and present. It is of them that we can live today as we do.

Erick, Thank you for your research and images, you found more about the "P.C." on pics than I did and I searched intense. Considering that this is a Purdue Cadet uniform, it must be from the early years (1880's) of it's founding. What is strange about the kepi is there’s no twisted cord chinstrap but still has the leather one. As you said, "I assume, early" Indiana State Seal buttons on both jacket and kepi. I dug a bit deeper on the history of Purdue University and it seems it was founded earlier than I had posted, around 1876. It goes back and is mentioned in 1862 as the Morril Act. If this is the case then my uniform has to be a very early one, as it doesn't match any 1890's Cadet uniforms. I'm open for any ideas.

Here's the site I found. At the bottom of the page there's a slide show on the history of Purdue.

http://www.purdue.edu/armyrotc/overview/history.php

Congratulations Pete, on your graduation of class 1984. (I know how it feels).

Thanks Skipproo1, and that photo in the link you sent shows the armory where the ROTC classes were held and where we drilled. In the creepy basement was the supply office where we were issued our uniforms and insignia. Great memories.

Pete

• 1 month later...

I collect cadet items and agree that this is a Purdue Cadet uniform. The college military programs allowed considerable variation in uniform styles.

Greetings Tim,

Sorry for the late reply. But thank you for your comment. Would it be possible for you to give more information of this uniform if possible. Possible age or the style of rank of this uniform since you collect cadet items. What do you think of the light blue trousers that these could have been converted Civil War trousers.

Thank you

Skip

• 4 months later...

Skip, I have been trying to nail down the pattern of these trousers and the closest I come to is the model 1884, but yours don't have a back pocket. However, I am just trying to match up the pattern to photos I have found. Maybe you should post the trousers separately.

This is a website from a company that reproduces 19th century uniforms They have different pattern of trousers and they do a good job of explaining the differences.

https://www.19th-century-us-history.com/indian_wars/us_military/uniforms/q-7240_m1872-m1876-m1884-m1885_trousers_indian-wars.shtml

Regarding the leather vs. twisted bullion chinstraps in the photo, note that all those shown wear officer shoulder straps. The coat has sergeant's chevrons -- possibly some sort of supply sergeant.

G