RIP: Craig Pickrall, USMF co-founder, teacher, mentor and more

Bob Hudson

First and foremost allow me to add my condolences and prayers to Craig's wife and family. This is a dreaded and hateful disease and I know all too well what it does to families. I continue to pray for God's comfort and peace during this continued time of sadness but celebration of his life and legacy. As a collector I did not have the honor of meeting Craig, but his presence in our community and on this forum was large and watchful, like a dad watching his kids grow...I am grateful for him and his efforts to make what we all share an endeavor of honor and love. His legacy in this regard is us and we are many, and owe him the honor of continuing to do his work. Rest in the peace of God Mr. Pickrall

Admittedly it was expected. That said there are still literally no adequate words to express the sorrow I feel at hearing of Craig's passing. I do however find great comfort in the fact that Heaven has a new angel, he has Greg to chat militaria with, and he is no longer in such pain.

Craig was a wonderful friend and just an amazing human being. I have known him over 10 years. I cannot count the times I had to ask for guidance and assistance on items. Not only would he provide a well thought out answer but he would include pictures! That was just the man he was - always went above and beyond to help. His work ethic as an admin was the same. And all of us founders loved every minute of starting and moderating this site with him. :)

It is sad that many will no longer have the opportunity to directly converse with him. But that said Craig left such an amazing legacy in the history and collecting fields that his knowledge will continue on for years to come. I gather way long after any of us reading this post here will be around.

My thoughts and prayers are definitely with his family and friends in this time of loss. The loss of such a wonderful person is more than hard. Please rest assured he will always be missed and never be forgotten.

I once heard someone say that no matter what we do, how much money we make, or how many cool things we have, we can never take things with us. The only hope that each of us has is to be someone else's fond memory.

Well Craig, my fellow co-founder, I know I am not alone in saying that you have left a wealth of fond memories on this Earth.

Unlike many, I did have the chance to meet Craig several times and even stayed over one night with him on a trip to VA. He was indeed a great guy and a great resource. He served as AAMUC's Librarian in our early years, but was quick to realize that the internet is the library of the future for researchers. He got me involved with this forum and its predecessor, and I thank him for that.

He was recently awarded the AAMUC Meritorious Service Medal for his contributions to the hobby -- he should have received notice about two weeks ago and the medal itself last week. I only hope he was able to be cognizant of the recognition. He will be sorely missed.

May I suggest we dedicate a section of this Forum in his name?

G

Government Issue

I never knew Craig, but I would have never found companionship with fellow military collectors and enthusiasts without the hard work of him or the other founding members of this forum. From what I've read and seen through this connection of collectors I can say with confidence that Craig was an individual who above all else was dedicated to the preservation of the spirit and legacy of the American fighting man. We as a community are proud of the legacy of this forum that he helped to create. Above all else, as Craig slips the bonds of this earth into the next, we realize that we have not only lost a founding member, but also one of the greats. Greatness that is both measured both in knowledge and friendship. As many members reflect upon their wonderful experiences with this man, the comradery, the laughs, the good times, we will also look forward to growing our collections to preserve the legacy of the American soldier just as Craig did and loved. In closing, I can't thank this man enough for helping to start a place where I find myself among so many friends and like minded individuals. God bless Craig. You were one of the greats.

Craig never hesitated to share his vast knowledge with us. It was an honor to know Craig and I am a more knowledgeable and wiser collector because of him. The knowledge and experience he shared was priceless, not to mention his love and passion for the hobby.

May you rest in Peace with our Glorious Father in Heaven..

My condolences to the Pickrall family..

Leigh

I am sad to admit, i never had a chance to talk with Craig. But it is still a very sad day for me. Before i joined here i would just read posts and i would stare in awe at Mr. Pickrall knowledge toward militaria.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Rest in Peace.

-Dave

SPEECHLESS.

SINCERE SYMPATHY AND RESPECT TO HIS WIFE AND FAMILY.

YOU ARE MISSED AND REMEMBERED MY FRIEND AND BROTHER.

MAY GODS GRACE EMBRACE YOU AND KEEP YOU IN YOUR ETERNAL REST.

God Bless the Pickrall Family in this time of loss of a Husband, Father Brother and Son. Thank you Craig for all you gave to this community. May you Rest In Peace.

God Bless You,

John

vintageproductions

Craig will without a doubt be missed.

When I first agreed to be a moderator he always answered my questions. When I became one of the Admin he was also always there with advice when certain subjects came up.

I knew whenever I posted something that I couldn't id, within minutes Craig would answer the question and show a photo of it being worn.

The collecting world is a better place because of Craig.

To echo everyone's comments, rest in peace and God bless to Craig and his family. I never had the pleasure of crossing paths, but he was truly one of the pillars of this forum and one who's depth of knowledge was beyond comparison. Thank your for your personal and professional contributions and for making the USMF a better place for all of us collectors.

As noted, this Forum would not have existed in its present form without forward thinkers like Craig.

There has been a real struggle over the last few years to take a hobby that has existed since the 1930's and move it into the technology and world wide reach of the internet age. Craig was one of the ones who pushed it forward.

My thanks to Craig was the many times he was supportive in my early days as a Moderator, assuring me that it was worthwhile.

We are all the richer for having had him with us.

RIP Craig, I enjoyed his many replies in topics I was involved in, always something to add that made the topic both informative and interesting.

From myself and my family, our most heartfelt condolences to Craig's family, I never had the pleasure of meeting Craig, but I have read his many posts. It is a sad day when someone so friendly passes to soon. RIP Craig.

Craig was one of the ones who pushed it forward.

He did still keep a finger on the "old" ways and co-authored a book:

craigbook.jpg