Parachute Rigger Wings w/unauthorized EGA Device

Brig

Picked these up awhile back, misplaced them, found them again. The EGA applied appears to be an original sweetheart H&H pattern as commonly seen on marksmanship badges, etc with devices affixed against regulations. However, that doesn't mean they weren't applied to a bad set of wings. Not a big wing guy, they seem okay, but figured I'd post them for you wing gurus to review. Thanks

101_6460.JPG

101_6461.JPG

triplecanopy

I'm inclined to say that they are good. I'm not a big fan of unauthorized attachements, but it was done. This looks good to me and I'd be happy to have it in my collection. I'd also be interested in the other opinions.

Thanks for the feedback

It was big with the USMC, primarily with marksmanship badges. I have a set of pilot wings I picked up years ago with it, as well

I, too, would like to hear more input, I only own a couple sets of wings...and I've only owned one other pair of rigger wings, and traded it last year.

Nice wings, I think they are cool!!

Why are they called Parachute rigger wings? I thought they were USN/USMC Parachutist wings.

Chris

Something similar to this sold a week or so ago on eBay for 59 dollars (see photos). I didn't bid because I'm leery of stuff added to paratrooper wings and more importantly for this style of USN/USMC paratrooper wing to have a pin back. There were a couple of older USN/USMC paratrooper wings manufactured with pin backs during WW2 but you normally only come across this style or variation of USN/USMC paratrooper wing with clutch back pins. There have been unscrupulous people who have taken a clutch back wing to a jeweler to have the pins removed and replaced with pin backs to try and deceive collectors. However your wing and the one that just sold on eBay looks like they were manufactured with a pin back from the very start. So I don't know what to make of your wing and the one that just sold on eBay.

post-1389-0-64723000-1409350395.jpg

post-1389-0-10091000-1409350415.jpg

Something similar to this sold a week or so ago on eBay for 59 dollars (see photos). I didn't bid because I'm leery of stuff added to paratrooper wings and more importantly for this style of USN/USMC paratrooper wing to have a pin back. There were a couple of older USN/USMC paratrooper wings manufactured with pin backs during WW2 but you normally only come across this style or variation of USN/USMC paratrooper wing with clutch back pins. There have been unscrupulous people who have taken a clutch back wing to a jeweler to have the pins removed and replaced with pin backs to try and deceive collectors. However your wing and the one that just sold on eBay looks like they were manufactured with a pin back from the very start. So I don't know what to make of your wing and the one that just sold on eBay.

All of the Rigger wings I've seen from Wosk stock, and in the book 'Paramarine!', had straight pins

$59 seems cheap, as these fetch over $100 when they pop up and the EGA could always be removed if someone didn't like it

Nice wings, I think they are cool!!

Why are they called Parachute rigger wings? I thought they were USN/USMC Parachutist wings.

Chris

In WWII...this wing was intended for certified parachute riggers, with the Army style being the basic parachutist. It wasn't until a couple decades later that they were instituted as USN/USMC Master Parachute wings

In WWII...this wing was intended for certified parachute riggers, with the Army style being the basic parachutist. It wasn't until a couple decades later that they were instituted as USN/USMC Master Parachute wings

Oh okay, learned something new today!! Thanks for clearing that up for me!!

Chris

Brig-

Would you mind providing me with a source for that? I have never actually found any sort of written documentation that truly calls these "Rigger" wings.

Thanks,

Allan

All of the Rigger wings I've seen from Wosk stock, and in the book 'Paramarine!', had straight pins

$59 seems cheap, as these fetch over $100 when they pop up and the EGA could always be removed if someone didn't like it

I don't think these wings with the attached EGAs are WW2 era USN Rigger wings even though it has a straight pin. It might even be a made up piece. Over the years I've come across four different full size variations of the metal WW2 era USN Rigger wings with straight pins. They are from top to bottom AMICO, Durocharm, Wosk and Wosk (see photos). None of these match the wing variation with the EGA applied to the front which is actually the current style USN/USMC paratrooper wing. I have only ever seen one of these particular style wings with a straight pin and am not certain it is an original period piece. These wings from the shoulder down taper downward more than the other variation and usually are only encountered with clutch back pins.

AMICO & Durocharm

post-1389-0-82515100-1409368010.jpg

post-1389-0-05554900-1409368030.jpg

Brig-

Would you mind providing me with a source for that? I have never actually found any sort of written documentation that truly calls these "Rigger" wings.

Sorry for the delay

Pages 175-177 of Chris Mason's 'Paramarine!' discusses these style wings being meant to replace the parachute rigger striker, and were often worn against regs by Paramarines.

It depicts the uncredited wings with straight pin (which I believe are Wosk stock, as the box matches the set I once owned, and Amico (miniatures at least) with straight pins

• 4 weeks later...

Another one of these USN/USMC rigger/paratrooper wings has shown up on eBay with the straight pin back minus the EGA. There are 19 bids so far with 2 days to go so many believe it is legitimate. I do not believe they are legitimate and suspect the original clutch back pins were removed and a straight pin was added in its place by a jeweler. I also believe STERLING was stamped somewhat sloppily twice.

post-1389-0-88935000-1411366976.jpg

post-1389-0-36925700-1411367002.jpg

post-1389-0-21989700-1411367037.jpg

post-1389-0-67120900-1411367094.jpg

• 3 months later...

Brig-

Thanks,

Allan

Please excuse the extreme tardiness, I thought I had replied after cracking it open. They are referred to as Rigger wings in Chris Mason's Paramarine, Pages 175-177.

I agree with Tonomachi on the questionable "Sterling" stamp, and looking at the upright pic it appears that the wing is distorted about where the stamping has been done.

Could be light playing in the pic or my distorted mind too.

I would like to think that original periods do exist. No positive evidence of it yet.

Tom

• 1 month later...
American Heritage

beautiful wings Brig! Missed this thread until now.

they were indeed called Rigger wings according to my research. Funny that the rigger wings are now the more prestigious wings to have earned - IMHO.

post-10864-0-87863400-1424746106.jpg