Pistol Belt Order

3-charlie

Good morning,

I'm looking to purchase some items to accomidate my 1911. Would like some imput if possible.

Was looking at getting a lc1/lc2 pistol belt ( older steel belt fastner, not plastic), M56 .45acp magazine pouch and 1980's 1916(?) .45acp black leather holster.

So the question is, would the m-56 mag pouch be used in the 70's/80's?

I served in the Canadian Army in Germany in the 80's. Worked a lot with the U.S. Army in grafenwoehr and Hohenfeld. Do recall seeing some old kit being used. M3 grease gun being one that stands out (very cool, good story). It was pre m9 berreta, so the 1911 was still used, but I don't recall what you fella's used with the pistol, other then the black leather 1916(?) holsters.

I could get a modern type nylon magazine pouch but I want to stay true as possible.

Thanks in advance, kind regards and good day.

3-charlie - AKA Dale

Our officers that deployed to Saudi Arabia in November 1990 carried M1911A1's and used the old M56 magazine pouches. You will also need a lanyard for your rig as the lanyard was usually required to be used when carrying the pistol.

Allan

thanks,

would that be the green nylon one with steel key holder type fastner and black plastic adjustment toggles(word doesn't come to mind, lol)?

El Bibliotecario

In 22 years of military service the only people I ever saw use lanyards with the M1911A1 were MPs.

Although I think armored units had black M7 holsters, the black M1916 holster was virutally universal, although calling it a M1916 holster would have gotten a blank look. Curiously, these holsters, although satisfactory, didnt seem to be quite the quality of the older brown holsters. Occassionally old brown leather gear could still be found. I carried my pistol in a brown holster made by Crump in 1942 which I found in the arms room.

Perhaps the lanyards were just unit SOP, but I distinctly recall having the darned thing clipped to the pistol at all times. I bought a shoulder holster so I could keep my pistol with me instead of having to wear ALICE gear all of the time. I didn't keep the lanyard on the pistol when I used the shoulder rig.

I should state here that I switched out some of our 45 auto mag pouches to the M56 as a couple of the ones in the arms room were 1918 Long maker marked and a couple were WWII dated. My CO was THRILLED to get a darker M56 pouch because he didn't like the tan pouch with his ALICE gear. I traded out a couple of WWII dated holsters too for VN period ones. It is funny that I could find newer stuff on the surplus market than what we could get through supply.

Allan