62 replies to this topic

#1 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 566
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

Okay...I guess you can see that I like vests and have a hard time saying no when they are priced right. These are a few of the ones that I had out last night and I thought I'd take a few pictures and share a portion of my collection. As with the others, I'm not 100% sure what these vests are, so if you know, feel free to chime in and let me know.

The first vest I'm going to show is one that has been in my collection for about 5 years or so. I bought this at a local surplus shop for next to nothing. It is made by Group 5 out of Texas. The pockets are held on by a zipper system and can be removed and replaced. I guess you'd call this a modular vest. It has places for a lot of pistol magazines. As you can see, it has a built in extraction harness. There are two straps that come up between the legs. It has a zipper closure, but also has places for other fasteners. This vest is also unique in the fact that it has a built in hood in the neck area. It also has a name tape sewn onto neck area (name is Reffett). I am thinking this piece might be a pilots survival vest or maybe a medics vest. COPIOUS amounts of pockets all over the place.

There is an interesting story to this vest. You can believe it if you want or you can choose not to. I have had this vest hanging on a wooden hanger ever since I first bought it and it has always hung on a door. I normally store my vests on hangers in my "war room". No big deal. Well, there have been several times when I'd walk into my room and a leg strap from this vest would be up in the air. As soon as I'd see it, the leg strap would drop immediately. This activity has been witnessed by me, my wife, and my son. It happened often enough that this vest now is at the back of the pile where the leg straps can't levitate!

Attached Images

• sfvest_001.jpg
  • sfvest_003.jpg

Edited by nkomo, 21 June 2008 - 09:24 PM.

#2 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

back and side view.

Attached Images

• sfvest_004.jpg
  • sfvest_005.jpg

#3 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

One of the leg straps.

Attached Images

• sfvest_006.jpg

#4 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:14 PM

This next item is interesting. It is a commercial chest harness that was used by someone in the SF community. It is a commercial copy of the Rhodesian chest harness. The Rhodesians and the South African militaries made excellent gear and much of the gear that we now have has been copied to a certain exten from them. This chest harness was designed to hold FAL magazines, but it was used to hold M-14 magazines instead. Like many of the other harnesses and vests coming out of the early to mid 1990's, this has a 3 digit number inked on it. Does a 3 digit number always indicate military usage? No. But it is fairly common to see this on SF gear. Also, this harness came out of a large pile of used SF gear. The black Group 5 vest above also has a 3 digit number chalked into the back of it.

Attached Images

• sfvest_012.jpg
  • sfvest_013.jpg

Edited by nkomo, 21 June 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#5 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:22 PM

Up next is a QRV vest that I picked up down at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. This type of vest was very popular in the 1980's with SF soldiers. Mine is not dated and has seen better days, as you can see from the inside tag. The pouches are woodland camouflaged, but they have been spray painted tan. I'm thinking was done for Operation Desert Storm or maybe for Operation Bright Star in Egypt. This piece was in my collection well before all the hostilities started in Afghanistan and Iraq (OIF). This vest has Fastex buckles, but are not dated. Usually you can date a vest by the date of the Fastex buckles, but this one doesn't have any dates.

Attached Images

• sfvest_015.jpg
  • sfvest_014.jpg

Edited by nkomo, 21 June 2008 - 09:43 PM.

#6 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

Some more pictures of the QRV vest.

Attached Images

• sfvest_016.jpg
  • sfvest_017.jpg

#7 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:33 PM

The last vest of the night is a modified USAF pilots survival vest dated 1976. This is a strange vest. It has had all but one of the original pouches taken off of it and replaced with woodland camouflage pouches. To me, it looks like the pouches are for 40mm grenades. Now why they'd modify a USAF vest when 40 mm grenade vests were very common is a mystery to me. This vest also has two pouches for radios and maybe a place for a grenade on the back. All the pockets on the inside of the vest have been removed as well. The zipper pull has been replaced with a ring (grenade????) and Fastex buckles have been added for extra security. Also belt loops have been sewn to the bottom of the vest. Your guess is as good as mine on this one. All the Fastex fasteners are dated 1990.

Attached Images

• sfvest_007.jpg
  • sfvest_008.jpg

#8 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:33 PM

Some more pics.

Attached Images

• sfvest_009.jpg
  • sfvest_010.jpg

#9 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:35 PM

I hope you have enjoyed looking at some of my vests and look forward to hearing what you think. If anyone has any information on these vests, please let me know. If you have any questions, let me know as well. I'll answer them as best I can.
Arch

Attached Images

• sfvest_011.jpg

Edited by nkomo, 21 June 2008 - 09:44 PM.

#10 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

That is a nice selection of vests. Thanks for showing. Does the black vest in the first set of pics have a date?

#11 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

No date, but still retains the original Group 5 tag. I think it says Gaynesville, Texas and gives a zip code.

Any idea on the modified USAF survival vest? Any idea what the black vest was used for as well?
Arch

Edited by nkomo, 23 June 2008 - 10:03 AM.

#12 Polygon

Polygon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 187
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

Awesome vests, they look as though they have seen extensive use and would probably have quite a story to tell.

#13 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,851 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

This next item is interesting. It is a commercial chest harness that was used by someone in the SF community. It is a commercial copy of the Rhodesian chest harness. The Rhodesians and the South African militaries made excellent gear and much of the gear that we now have has been copied to a certain exten from them. This chest harness was designed to hold FAL magazines, but it was used to hold M-14 magazines instead. Like many of the other harnesses and vests coming out of the early to mid 1990's, this has a 3 digit number inked on it. Does a 3 digit number always indicate military usage? No. But it is fairly common to see this on SF gear. Also, this harness came out of a large pile of used SF gear. The black Group 5 vest above also has a 3 digit number chalked into the back of it.

Not uncommon to find these being used By SF or others.These were for sale a few years ago through the Cav Store and also Soldier of Fortune magazine.I still have mine.

Nice stuff thanks for posting.I am going to post a STABO HARNESS AND A MODIFIED af SURVIVAL VEST FOR SALE.

RON

Edited by doyler, 23 June 2008 - 12:09 PM.

#14 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the compliment on the vests guys! I'll definitely be looking for the STABO rig and the modified survival vest!
Arch

#15 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

On the black GP 5 vest does the extraction hardware have dates?

There are endless mods to the AF survival vests both by military personnel and civilians. Hard to say on these who, when or where.

#16 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

Just went and checked the extraction hardware and found no dates on them. It was manufactured by Group 5 out of Gainsville Texas (Not Gaynesvilles as stated earlier).

I have looked on the internet for the company, but have found no information on them. A lot of time, it is very frustrating to try and found information on these vests because there is no maker info or if there is maker info, you can't find any thing about the company.
Arch

Edited by nkomo, 23 June 2008 - 09:00 PM.

#17 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

This info on the GP 5 vest is my best guess and can easily be corrected or added to.

I thought all true aircraft quality hardware was dated, this definately needs to be confirmed.

I think the two point extraction system indicates Army or Air Force. The Navy and Marine Corps use the one point contact for the SPIE rig.

The vest is to well constructed and detailed to think it is something made for sell to civilians. It is definately military or police.

Group 5 is probably a sub-division of a much larger corporation and may be difficult to find.

#18 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

After an exchange of PM's with nkomo / Arch he agreed to turn this into a vest reference thread. Anyone with pics or info are invited to contribute.

#19 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

QRV Modular vest (mid 1980's)

LBE_Vest_Modular___No_1___Front.jpg
LBE_Vest_Modular___No_1___Rear.jpg

#20 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:45 AM

Another type QRV Modular vest (mid 1980's)

LBE_Vest_Modular___No_2___Front.jpg
LBE_Vest_Modular___No_2___Rear.jpg

#21 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

Unknown vest thought to be used by the USMC in the late 1980's / early 90's.

LBE_Vest_Modular___No_3___Front___No_pouches.jpg
LBE_Vest_Modular___No_3___Front___with_pouches.jpg
LBE_Vest_Modular___No_3___Rear.jpg

#22 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

Unknown vest - this could possibly be a radioman's vest or a medic's vest.

LBE_Vest_Non_modular___Front.jpg
LBE_Vest_Non_modular___Rear.jpg

#23 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

SAW Gunner vest

LBE_Vest_SAW_Gunner___Front.jpg
LBE_Vest_SAW_Gunner___Rear.jpg
LBE_Vest_SAW_Gunner___Side.jpg

#24 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

Some of the many accessory pouches and holsters for these modular vests.

Accessory_items___Front.jpg
Accessory_items___Rear.jpg

#25 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

Holster_No_1_auto___extender_and_mag_pouch_front.jpg
Holster_No_1_auto___extender_and_mag_pouch_inside.jpg
Holster_No_1_auto___extender_and_mag_pouch_rear.jpg