Navy Cross, Six Bar Sampson Medal ,1899 GCM, 1900 China, etc.

kanemono

Here is a group of medals to an officer who was awarded the Navy Cross during WWI

The Navy Cross is awarded for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished service while in command of the U.S.S. Heron, engaged in the important and hazardous work of clearing the North Sea of mines.”

This officer enlisted in the US Navy in 1892 from Connecticut, served aboard the USS New York during the Spanish American War. He received the Good Conduct Medal CSC11806 USS New York, a named Sampson Medal with six bars to the USS New York, A named West Indies medal #660, a named Philippine Campaign medal # 509, a named China Relief 1900 medal # 973, a 1908 Cuban Pacification medal # 2019, a Mexico 1911-1917 medal # 368, a WWI Victory medal with a Minesweeping bar, a New York State Conspicuous Service Cross 1917-1919 # 1459, a named New York State Spanish American War Service # 1857, a New York State WWI Service medal # 4375 and the Navy Cross. Along with the group is a United States Veteran Navy badge and his USS New York cap tally and his named officers sword. I also have his US Passport. Dick

post-9487-0-94743700-1408980201.jpg

post-9487-0-57230700-1408980219.jpg

post-9487-0-52068300-1408980228.jpg

post-9487-0-06510300-1408980241.jpg

post-9487-0-73350000-1408980251.jpg

post-9487-0-13561100-1408980273.jpg

Very nice complete group as always.Thank you for taking the time to post these groups.Always a pleasure to get to look them over.

Thank you for all the comments. Here is a closeup of the Heron crew and a USN cap badge that was with the group. I am including it separately since I think it is a cap badge for USMC Doctors serving with the Navy?

Dick

post-9487-0-92718900-1408982045.jpg

post-9487-0-59852300-1408982053.jpg

Thank you for all the comments. Here is a closeup of the Heron crew and a USN cap badge that was with the group. I am including it separately since I think it is a cap badge for USMC Doctors serving with the Navy?

Dick

Dick:

First off, this is a mind-blowing group. Period. Absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

No words can really describe it, but that's the best I can do!

Thank you for posting it!

Second, you're backwards in your post (above). You're thinking Navy doctors serving with the USMC. However, my thought with that device is that it belonged to our hero and the finish has been removed over time. It's a fascinating all-metal hat devices, which is very, very rare for the time period, and my feeling is that it may once have been gilded...or otherwise colored...which is now gone.

Just my theory, as I don't believe there was a "subdued" variant back during that time period, as 99% of them were bullion embroidered.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I think you are right. This cap badge has been with the group a long time. I just didn't want to post something I wasn't sure about. A thin plated finish could easily have been polished off.

Dick

Another museum-quality group Dick, just beautiful and with some great history to boot. Thank you for sharing this group, along with the other outstanding groups you have posted lately.

Philip

Kurt Barickman

Ah yah, what everybody else said Dick, WOW. These groups of yours are quite historic and mind numbing. Keep posting as I am continually amazed by your collection.

Kurt

Javelin4life

Dick, this grouping is SUPERB. The quality of it is simply amazing. Who needs a museum when I can see a new posting you have? Keep these groups coming. Thank you for sharing!!

Alex

aerialbridge

Dick, I already figured you'd located the Lost Dutchman Mine of old navy medals. If you haven't hit the mother lode yet, you're pretty close.

Sweeping the North Sea Mine barrage was hazardous enough, so that sailor really earned his Navy cross. In the book "The Old Navy" the author Daniel P. Mannix 4th, describes his father's (DPM 3rd) Navy career which culminated in the dad's commanding one of the North Sea minelayers. This duty was especially tricky since the mines were filled with an unfamiliar and unstable new (then) explosive, TNT. The Dad described something going horribly wrong aboard a British minelayer in the squadron. The ship loaded with TNT mines exploded with an earth-shaking roar. When rescue ships arrived on the scene, all they could find was a Naval hat and a man's arm floating in the water. The rest of the squadron treated their mines with much greater care and respect. DPM 3rd got a WW! Navy DSM for that duty.

Hello Dick,

I can only weakly echo the others praise for showing us a true "museum caliber" group. This is without a doubt in my favorite group I've seen here during my time on the forum. I would like to write more but have only one eye in my head and need to go looking for the other since both popped out when I saw the photos.

Seriously, I thank you for being able to see such incredible pieces of history from my home. My best wishes to you always!

Joe