Colt M1917 & Rem Rand 1911A1

JosephC

I have been fortunate to acquire these two in just within the past year. I have wanted to own these models for many years and was very patient and it paid off. The M1917 revolver is a colt and the 1911A1 is a remington rand made in 1945. The revolver was also produced late and I do not think either made it into wartime service. The 1911A1 is in the original post war surplus packaging, appears correct and all matching and comes with two magazines and a 1964 copy of field manual. The grips on the M1917 were plastic checkered ones but I was able to find original walnut through a friend of mine. Comments are welcome.

post-967-0-05779800-1408925830.jpg

post-967-0-18587400-1408925838.jpg

Remington Rand 1911A1 - s/n 244XXXX. The pistol is in great condition; gunshop that did transfer for me called it very special including the packaging. I have some concerns over the finish which is more greenish than the light grey for the serial number range. The seller told me he used LSA lubricant to store it and I think this affected the finish.

post-967-0-85362400-1408926234.jpg

post-967-0-32670400-1408926245.jpg

Do you know why there's a shock buffer on the recoil spring guide? It's not original to the pistol and so has been added for some reason. Also, there appears to be a small piece of metal gone from the right barrel lug (next to the HS marking); any idea as to why or is that just a problem with the close up photo and flash?

The Colt M1917 looks very nice; is the serial number written in pencil on the inside of the right grip?

Do you know why there's a shock buffer on the recoil spring guide? It's not original to the pistol and so has been added for some reason. Also, there appears to be a small piece of metal gone from the right barrel lug (next to the HS marking); any idea as to why or is that just a problem with the close up photo and flash?

The Colt M1917 looks very nice; is the serial number written in pencil on the inside of the right grip?

The walnut grips for the m1917 are not original to the revolver - they have a penciled number but different from my s/n; I purchased them from a friend and replaced the plastic checkered grips that were on the colt. With regards to the 1911A1 - there isnt metal missing; I will post a pic of other side which has that too. I saw what you call a shock buffer and thought it was unusual; not being an expert and it was my first time handling a 1911 style pistol and first time taking apart I didnt know what it was. Maybe when reissued by govt for sale to surplus market they installed that? Hopefully someone in the forum can give some insight into it and if I should remove it. What is its purpose and with that there is the recoil spring a shortened piece? Thanks for the questions. Joe

post-967-0-90101900-1408937901.jpg

I just found an example online of an HS barrel with similar mark - I will have to take mine apart again and get another look at it and the spring and shock buffer pad.

post-967-0-84288000-1408938553.jpg

I saw what you call a shock buffer and thought it was unusual; not being an expert and it was my first time handling a 1911 style pistol and first time taking apart I didnt know what it was. Maybe when reissued by govt for sale to surplus market they installed that? Hopefully someone in the forum can give some insight into it and if I should remove it. What is its purpose and with that there is the recoil spring a shortened piece? Thanks for the questions. Joe

The shock buffer may have been added if the recoil spring was wearing out. This would have been after it left the service. Probably not a problem unless you plan on shooting the pistol, in which case you might buy a Wolf 16-pound recoil spring and use it when firing the pistol, and replace the original spring when on display. I believe it's better to shoot with a new recoil spring than to add a buffer to compensate for a worn spring.

I have several HS barrels in my parts boxes and I'll take a look to see if they have the marks, but based on your observations that mark probably isn't anything of importance.

That's a nice set of sidearms. Hopefully, someone will chime in on the greenish finish on the M1911A1.

I have a late war RR with a very light gray finish. I've been told it's original and such can be determined by the final polishing lines that show up under an original finish. If you look at OP's post number 9, on the slide just above the model stamping, you'll see the lines that seem to be in a broad arc that rise from right to left (and go back down again towards the end of the slide). Those marks tend to be removed if the slide is refinished.

I contacted the seller and he said he added the part because he was told it would make it "smoother". He thought he had removed it and said It can be removed. should I shoot with it or without it? not sure what wasn't smooth about the action.

The shock buffer may have been added if the recoil spring was wearing out. This would have been after it left the service. Probably not a problem unless you plan on shooting the pistol, in which case you might buy a Wolf 16-pound recoil spring and use it when firing the pistol, and replace the original spring when on display. I believe it's better to shoot with a new recoil spring than to add a buffer to compensate for a worn spring.

I have several HS barrels in my parts boxes and I'll take a look to see if they have the marks, but based on your observations that mark probably isn't anything of importance.

I have a late war RR with a very light gray finish. I've been told it's original and such can be determined by the final polishing lines that show up under an original finish. If you look at OP's post number 9, on the slide just above the model stamping, you'll see the lines that seem to be in a broad arc that rise from right to left (and go back down again towards the end of the slide). Those marks tend to be removed if the slide is refinished.

Seller told me it was "grey and dry" when he got it 9 years ago. He put some LSA - "LSA is a petroleum-based lubricant mixed with a combination detergent, oxidation inhibitor, and corrosion inhibitors. It’s still used by gun owners, and it can most easily be found in surplus stores. As an acronym, LSA apparently has two different definitions. Both “Lubricant, Small Arms” and “Lubricant, Semifluid, Automatic (weapons)” appear to apply. The current official military supply nomenclature for LSA is “Lubricating oil, semifluid”." - on the firearm for storage. I dont know if this turned it from light grey to this subtle green (looks worse in pics). Did this do a number on the value of the 191A1?

There are machine marks on the pistol as you pointed out so I do not believe it was refinished.

here is a link to where I got the quote on LSA lubricant.

http://www.surplustodayonline.com/2012/10/23/lsa-still-a-great-gun-oil/

also found this information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing

"Many firearms that are Parkerized turn to a light greenish-gray color within a few years, as the coating ages, with the protective coating remaining intact. Cosmoline, especially, interacting with Parkerizing, can cause the greenish-gray patina to develop on firearms that are stored in armories." And since it is wikipedia it must be true.

I looked at all my barrels, and only one of the HS barrels has those marks on the lugs, and it is one of the more used ones that I have. Not anything to worry about, just wear marks.

also found this information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing

"Many firearms that are Parkerized turn to a light greenish-gray color within a few years, as the coating ages, with the protective coating remaining intact. Cosmoline, especially, interacting with Parkerizing, can cause the greenish-gray patina to develop on firearms that are stored in armories." And since it is wikipedia it must be true.

Late war Rem Rands tend to have that light grayish color to the parkerizing. I have one in the 2,437,000 serial range with box, mags, wax paper and outer shipping carton that's very similar in color. They were unissued and sold through DCM or NRA in the early 60s.

from what I have read Remingtons. In this serial range should be light grey. is yours similar in color to mine or the light grey?

Late war Rem Rands tend to have that light grayish color to the parkerizing. I have one in the 2,437,000 serial range with box, mags, wax paper and outer shipping carton that's very similar in color. They were unissued and sold through DCM or NRA in the early 60s.

That's true about the greenish hue on parkerizing with cosmoline. Personally, I like that, and my M1, '03, and M1 Carbine have it. Have a '42 Colt 1911A1 with Remington Rand slide, stayed grey.

from what I have read Remingtons. In this serial range should be light grey. is yours similar in color to mine or the light grey?

Joseph, I think mine is similar in color to yours. Maybe a bit lighter but that could be a function of cosmoline darkening the finish on yours a bit. Hard to say, but yours looks good. Here's mine (first time attaching photos here so sorry for the small size):

post-68734-0-94250500-1409275175.jpg

post-68734-0-99778500-1409275181.jpg