Krag Bayonet Made Into Fighting Knife ? Cole Book?

nbolinger

Picked this up today, the guy said it was in Coles book but he sometimes makes things up. The price was right and the work is nice. Anybody ever see one before?

post-9905-0-76367200-1408739077.jpg

Not unusual; I've got a couple and I've seen a few more. I think several folks on this forum have Krag bayonets that have been turned into knives. Interesting conversion of the scabbard though, I haven't seen that before. One of my Krag bayonet/knife has a leather picket pin scabbard converted to hold the knife, the other didn't come with a scabbard.

Based on the profile and length I'd guess yours is likely WWII, not WWI, but hard to say.

Still-A-Marine

Picked this up today, the guy said it was in Coles book but he sometimes makes things up. The price was right and the work is nice. Anybody ever see one before?

Yes I have seen them before. Cole does have two examples of Kraig bayonets cut down to fighting knives in book IV.

Bill

• 1 year later...
hansfischer007

Hey Guys.....Hans Fischer here with a question....I have just picked up in the last month...a 1900 and a 1902 KRAG Bayonet cut down to a fighting knife......both have the Barrel insert (best way to describe it I guess unless you just say the hole for the barrel.?).....anyway.....I saw another one I liked on a website for sale but it still had the "Barrel Insert" on it......I don't know how to grind those down........I would appreciate any help and advice on how to go about that.....lets say I can pick up a Good Krag Bayonet but I want to grind down the insert......what type of stone would I use and then how do you clean up the metal afterwards...?/...have a gunsmith just blue that part along with the handle.?....I Appreciate any help on this....as I have let a good number of old Redone Krag Fighting Knives go by as I didn't know how to redo them........Thanks again.....Hans Fischer

hansfischer007

Hey Guys...I mis typed.....the KRAG Fighting Knives I picked up -Already- had the "Insert Hole" ground down..so they are Rounded off at the top.....sorry about that. :(....I was wanting to know how to do that...my apologies .....Hans

Why ruin a good bayonet? Or, do more work on one that had already been cut down! Not sure I understand. SKIP

hansfischer007

No..what I wanted to know was how to work on a knife.....to grind down the Bayonet hole on the top to a more rounded piece....as I have seen a number of the "fighting Knives" done.......Im not a machinist by any means.......so just wondered if I used the grinding wheel in my shop.....what type of grinding stone to use....??....hey..I turn 75 this coming September.....us ole Retired Military guys gotta stay busy or the wife will find something for us to do.. :)....so I Appreciate any help...advice...etc.......Thanks....Hans Fischer

hansfischer007

KRAG 1903 Replacement Wooden Grips.???..//Hey Guys ...well I received in the mail today a 1903 KRAG Bayonet Fighting Knife ....and at first glance it looked like a hopeless case....very dirty and lots of surface rust......but in about 5 minutes in my shop with some fine steel wool it started to turn into a fairly good looking knife....theres going to be a lot of work involved but it looks like a fun project.....the wooden grips have some dents in them and I was wondering.......is there a source for Replacement Grips ......wooden....for the 1903 Krag.???.....I have seen ads for Springfield wood grips and others....but so far no Wooden Krag Replacement grips..if anyone knows of a source I appreciate you dropping me a note......and the grips look like they are put on with rivets.?....no screws so I assume they would have to be drilled out...........I had no idea this was going to turn into such an involved venture.....but the ole Girl looks like she just might shine after all..........Kind Regards......Hans Fischer