USMC NCO sword question..

digi-shots

Can anyone help date this USMC NCO sword... the leather on the grip is brown and the leather scabbard is black.

My knowledge on these is a bit limited. I know the "West Germany' stamping puts it post WWII but that's about it!

Thanks!

post-4361-0-16060600-1408712138.jpg

post-4361-0-44249100-1408712154.jpg

post-4361-0-10100200-1408712171.jpg

Well, the words "West Germany" narrows it down a bit timeframe wise. I would say it's a 1960s-70s. Just a guess. I haven't seen the "proved" insert on a NCO sword before. I came in in 1991 and when I got my NCO sword this was etched (vs. a separate insert piece) on the blade. So, I'd say earlier than the 1980s...

Take a look at the post-WWII Mililtary Academy/ROTC swords in this link.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/217659-m1902-sabers-used-by-rotc-academies/

You will notice that both of the US M1902 sabers made by Carl Eickhorn and sold by Meyer have the same brass proof slug as your USMC NCO sword. The etched star is different, yours having five points and the others having six points but using the same brass proof slug. Also, notice that one is marked "West Germany" as is your USMC sword. N.S.Meyer, Inc. had a very long relationship with Eickhorn that continued into the postwar period. So, your sword might have been made by either Eickhorn or Holler.

I hope this is helpful.

usmc-collector

The sword has USMC Certification Number is 372, so I would estimate 1960s era manufacture date.

The USMC Certification Numbers 3XX are usually related to the uniforms and accessories which are dated 196X.

JAROSLAV

Thanks! This is the second one one I have... The first was very similar but is a 28"... same color leather and 372 marking on the blade.