William Link WW1 Style Pilot Wing

irish

I think what Terry is seeing (I'm guessing so please correct me if I'm wrong Terry) are these highlights on the edges of the letters. These highlights appear to show the letters applied over something below them. This could be a trick of the camera and lighting if the letters themselves are cut out with these details. Hope this adds to the discussion. Sorry the red doesn't show up better but I circled a spot on the left side of the "U" and two spots on the left side of the "S".

post-5185-0-99289300-1408639836.jpg

Will do, good illustration. Think I got it.

So if there is an overlay on the cast copy a seam or line should be visible from the the side??

For the sake of conversation would a copy have also incorporated the "Tiffany Style" lever lock mechanism.?

thanks

It seems to me that the majority of good wings in this pattern have the Tiffany-style catch (especially the WM Link wings). Most of the fakes that I see, including the NS Meyer restrikes (which were not cast) BTW use the "C" style catch.

Tried to get closer "better" shots with what photo equipment I have but it was terrible.

Looking through a loop in profile at the letters I can seen where the edges have been chamfered putting a slight angle to the sides and showing what I will call finishing marks. There is in places a ridge similar to what I think I am seeing in post 15 around the lower portion and side of the U. It may be overlay. The color of the letters is continuous or the same from the top down the sides to where letter meets the shield.

The bottom right corner of the S is lifted slightly off of the shield where the curve of the shield is most pronounced.

I do appreciate all the input and expertise shown. If I can find a way to get better shots of the letters I will post.

Jack

Irish,

If you take your loop and can see under the letters where I've indicated with the two red arrows, that's an excellent indicator the wing is authentic... and not a lost wax casting.

IMG_5691a.jpg

RW, yes I can see under and see daylight. If not for the arch in the shield I could see straight through the S from bottom to top.

Thanks for that tip

Jack

Thanks for all the help. I ran the wing under some warm water to loosen some of the dirt etc at and around the letters. I can now see straight through under the S from bottom to top.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,

My can of WD-40 reads: it "lubricates, protects, and penetrates to free stuck, corroded parts like nuts, bolts, valves, locks"

I have always used it for lubrication and to free up corroded parts, and have had good results.

Chris

Thanks Chris

I have freed up a lever lock and a tiffany catch that were both stuck with WD. Like a charm both times.