Unissued PAL RH36 and Sheath Question

TALLYHO

I couldn`t pass up what I believe is this unissued PAL RH36. My question pertains to the sheath. Do you think it is original to the knife? The rear view of the stitching looks a bit odd. Also would applying Pecard`s Leather Dressing be advisable. Thanks!

0w3APT.jpg
KD4CvN.jpg
ghzkJa.jpg

My Parkerized version circa 1944.

post-66-0-96190200-1408575808.jpg

Remember that PAL continued to sell these commercially well after WW2.

Nice knife! My sheath appears to be a match. Correct me if I`m wrong but didn`t the production of parkerized blades start near the end of the war? Also do the colors of the spacers used give an indication to production runs, early vs. later?

Yes, Parkerized blades did not begin until somewhere in 1944 from the information I have, but it is possible that it began prior to that.

Frank Trzaska indicated in his article in the May 2007 Knife World magazine that the spacers can be almost any combination of red and black, and I see no reason to disagree. Therefore the spacers do not indicate the time of manufacture.

Sheath is correct.Right as rain original to the knife.Great set.

I wouldnt put anything on the scabbard.Anything added at this point will change the color.

Some use Renaissance Wax to preserve metal and leather.I havevt seen its results on something of this grade.

I have two PAL RH36 six-inch knives. My first one came in a PAL marked scabbard, and it was my understanding that the early (1942-3) knives came in these type of scabbards. I also have a later parkerized one in the nine rivet scabbard.

post-11546-0-91205900-1408589207.jpg