M1840 Cavalry Sword w/ Damascus Blade

liveww2

Hello,

I picked up this wrist breaker recently. The blade is PDL marked and without ordinance markings or date. The unique feature of this blade is that it appears to be Damascus. I've not seen one like this before. Is it common? Is it something manufacture did before export or perhaps an embellishment by the distributor/soldier?

Thank you!

post-105746-0-43580000-1408564637.jpg

post-105746-0-68107900-1408564647.jpg

post-105746-0-46087200-1408564657.jpg

post-105746-0-93435200-1408564671.jpg

The blade does have a damascus look to it. Having said that, I have seen this effect on steel blades before that have been in water or wet ground. Look carefully at the blade and see if there is a pattern to it overall. That is to say do the long straight lines remain constant over the entire length of the blade? If the pattern changes, i.e. from long straight lines to swirls it is likely water or acid cleaning damage. There were some damast blades imported from Germany during the CW but these were typically more expensive officer sword blades.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, there is a pattern to it. In fact, the pattern stops abruptly about 1" on one side and 1.5" on the other side from the edge of the guard. The line where the pattern stops is fairly deep and straight and wraps around the blade, including the edge, but is not flush or mirrored to the opposite side.

post-105746-0-80991900-1408574778.jpg

Interesting. Your blade was made by Peter Daniel Luneschluss (PDL) in Solingen so I would expect no inspector markings. An officer or Enlisted Man with money could certainly have ordered a sword like this as a private purchase item. I have never seen an EM sword with a damascus blade but never say never.

Sorry in advance, a pet peeve I cannot seem to let go. "...without ordinance markings..." Ordnance vs. ordinance. A very big difference in the two.