Colonel Bernard Fisher - MOH Vietnam

m1ashooter

Col Fisher MOH USF has passed. While the nation is focused on lessor news stories this hero of the USAF and his passing is just a blip on the news screen. In short he landed his Spad under heavy NVA fire to rescue a fellow pilot.

uniformcollector

When heard the news this morning, I could not believe it. Col. Bernard Fisher passed away this weekend. He was born in California (San Bernadino), but moved with his family to Utah during the Great Depression. He served in the Navy at the end of WWII, but was not shipped overseas. He served in the Air National Guard for a few years before being commissioned in the Air Force in 1951. In 1965, he volunteered to serve in Vietnam. From 1965 to 1966, he flew 200 combat sorties in his vintage A-1E/H Skyraider. In March 1966, he and numerous other "spads" we're flying over A Shau Valley to support troops in contact with the NVA.The "spad" piloted by Major D. W. Myers, was hit and forced to land on a Special Forces camp's runway. Col. Fisher called for a helicopter, but it was 30 minutes away. Reacting almost by instinct, he landed on a runway thought to be too short and under intense small arms fire, taxied over to the downed pilot, pulled him up in the aircrafts empty seat and took off. He later received the Medal of Honor for the action and received the Silver Star for actions a day before. D. W. Myers would call Col. Fisher every year on the anniversary of the rescue and once he died, his family did the same. Earlier this year, I had the honor of meeting with Col. Fisher and although his health had declined, was still able to sense the hero that he was. His family, friends and the world has lost a father and a hero. He will be missed. R.I.P Colonel.

Sorry to hear about Col Fisher passing on. As additional info, there were 14 Air Force Medals of Honor awarded for Viet Nam, of which several were posthumous. The numbers of living recipients are dwindling. I have been a long time collector of data, info and pictures pertaining to USAF MOH winners and thought I would share a couple pictures from my collection. The following picture, the cover of Airman Magazine, March 1967, is of then Major Fisher, taken shortly after presentation of the award. Some of you who like ribbon racks will notice his bottom row of ribbons are out of order.

post-14361-0-16036400-1408474786.jpg

The second picture I am sharing is of Colonel Fisher at a much later time. I really like this picture as it is autographed.

post-14361-0-69545400-1408475247.jpg

the Col and I became good friends over the many years I had an opportunity to have know him. He was easily recognizable at any event by his jacket. Like most recipients that have unique outfits. RIP my dear friend.

4starchris

post-387-0-56702300-1408597154.jpg

uniformcollector

(Then Lt. Col.) Bernie Fisher and Lt. Col. D. W. Myers (the officer he saved in Vietnam who was later awarded the Silver Star) shortly after being awarded the Medal of Honor.

post-104949-0-19543800-1408770265.png

uniformcollector

(Then Lt. Col.) Bernie Fisher being awarded the Medal of Honor by President Lyndon Johnson. He was the first Air Force Medal of Honor recipient in Vietnam and the first living Air Force Medal of Honor recipient.

post-104949-0-21034400-1408770370.jpg

• 5 months later...