Collecting 1877-91 United States Indian Wars Battle Dug Relic Casings and Documenting Your Collection...by Troy R. Kinunen

thebionicbigfoot

thebionicbigfoot

I have become fascinated by dug relics, so I have begun to collect them. This article deals with some I recently acquired that were obtained during the time of the Indian Wars.

http://www.mearsonline.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=851&cntnt01returnid=97

Questions or comments can be directed to [email protected]

Thanks, Troy R. Kinunen

Hello Troy

I also have dug cases and other items from Indian Wars sites

A couple of my favorites are attached here

A early rare complete 1880's US belt plate

and a case with the liner instead of the wads reportedly found at Big Dry Wash battle site in Arizona

409909929.jpg

124187513.jpg

124187512.jpg

thebionicbigfoot

I love the belt plate, but the original wad is wild. I have not ever seen that before, Phenonimal specimens. The history of dug items is quite remarkable. Thanks for sharing. Troy

A year or two ago the Iowa State History Museum in Des Moines had an exhibit titled something like "From the Museum Attic". I was featuring one of a kind items that were normally not on display.

It was quite surprising to see the following....

I have no idea if these are still on display or not.

EE 1.jpg

EE 2.jpg

thebionicbigfoot

A year or two ago the Iowa State History Museum in Des Moines had an exhibit titled something like "From the Museum Attic". I was featuring one of a kind items that were normally not on display.

It was quite surprising to see the following....

I have no idea if these are still on display or not.

I wonder if the museum would want to trade? ;)

Troy

• 1 year later...

I've collected a nice(legal) lot of spent casings, rounds, etc. from Reno's valley fight at the Little Big Horn. As soon as I can reach the required number of posts I'll present them to you guys.

• 1 month later...

I've collected a nice(legal) lot of spent casings, rounds, etc. from Reno's valley fight at the Little Big Horn. As soon as I can reach the required number of posts I'll present them to you guys.

I'd sure like to see them. I believe this part of the battlefield is located on private land isn't it? I visited the battlefield two years ago and it was really incredible. I saw the re-enactment that is done there and visited the little museum at Garry Owen just down from the battlefield.

-Derek

suwanneetrader

I believe you can post informational photos at any time. You just have to have 50 certified posts "real info type" before you can sell. Richard

Patchcollector

Neat stuff.I don't "dirt fish" but I do enjoy seeing what others find.As for the documentation part, a "GoPro" type cam can be attached to a hat,your chest,or even the metal detector itself,and the videos used as part of ones' provenance.

There is a guy that uses one and posts his videos on YouTube.Here is a link to one of his videos:

Seeing the spent cases from LBH reminds me of a project I heard about. Supposedly they can use the spent cases to "forensically" prove if a rifle was used there. A few high end auction trapdoors suppsiedly had this done and of course sold for big money. Does anyone know more about this project?

Hello Dunmore

There is a book on the subject by the people who did the work it is called "

Archaeological Insights into the Custer Battle: An Assessment of the 1984 Field Season

By Doug Scott

I am highly skeptical though as there is another book on a dig at the battle of K-H Butte in Arizona, an Apache battle, that found the cases to corroded to do anything with, and that is a dry arid climate in Arizona and the cases the LBH dig was using were in Montana which is a lot wetter where you would think there would be more corrosion.