M1910 Scabbard Question

cgutierrez

Hello all,

I've had this scabbard for about one and a half years now but a recent thread has me wondering what exactly do I have. I know that it is a M1910 scabbard but the color and manufacture has me wondering when it may have been made. The color of the fabric is a spit pea soup type green rather than the normal OD#3 khaki color. There are no seams - not on the back or on the sides. There is no markings on the leather tip and the only marking is the MILLS bullet logo found on the backside of the scabbard. Any ideas?

post-1573-0-95564300-1408134824.jpg

post-1573-0-10750900-1408134871.jpg

MILLS had a contract in 1912-13 to supply covers to supplement production at Rock Island. I am not sure if the contract was for complete scabbards or only for the covers. They are seldom seen today due to attrition in use and the fact that the MILLS stamp would wash out fairly quickly.

The odd green color was only used for a couple of years until the beginnings of World War 1 cut off import of the dye which was made in Germany. The color then changed in 1915 to the more commonly found olive drab. I discuss this in Bayonet Points 43: http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_43.htm although I failed to mention the MILLS version as I did not have one to photograph. If you could send me a good photo of the mark it would be appreciated.

I note that this is a Type 1A - has the tubular non-seamed body but still with the early smaller diameter wire double hook and the brass tube in the hanger. MILLS developed the method of making the tubular body which Rock Island then adopted as it was much stronger than the seam which frayed or the stitching came loose.

Gary,

I'll see what I can do, but my Micro camera skills are not good and the MILLS logo is fairly faint. Thanks for the great info.

CG