Indian War Brassards and Ranks

Redlegwolf

Good morning, fellow enthusiasts:

I have recently begun to collect the Indian War brassards, and am looking to continue expanding the collection and learning. I was wondering if anyone knew of a complete list of the brassards and ranks they could share, or if any of you have any contacts who might have such items. I'm specifically looking for the artillery related ones, but am not ruling out any from other branches either. Last evening, I thought I had a line on some artillery color sergeant chevrons, but it looks like they were bought before I could purchase them. I did however manage to land an artillery sergeant bugler chevron from Griffin Militaria which I am very excited about seeing.

I've heard there were a lot more than I have come across--I currently have cavalry farrier, infantry pioneer, and artillery cook--and it has only raised more questions.

For instance, since Field Grade Infantry Officers were mounted, who took care of their horses? Is there a secret infantry farrier brassard?

Lastly, does anyone know what one needs to do to be able to post in the wanted section?

Cheers!

Wolf-Ekkehard.

• 3 weeks later...
Steve Rogers

Bender publishing has recently published William K. Emerson's US Army Soldiers and their Chevrons. It would be worth acquiring.

Emerson's book is highly recommended. Brassards are covered and the book is something you have to have if your going to collect U.S. Army enlisted rank . It will not only help you properly identify items by their proper names, but give information as to dates of use and pay.

I have Emerson's new book. Better get a copy if you have any desire to collect chevrons. I have a catalog I put together with photos of almost all the Artillery chevrons and brassards in the 1872 pattern.

I have also completed research on which chevrons were authorized. Here is a photo of my catalog page for the Artillery chevrons.

It is in .pdf form.

Hardstripe

Type D - Artillery.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, hardstripe. I know I need Emerson's books, but I am having such a hard time justifying the several hundred dollars for the copy. I'm currently deployed, but I might just have it shipped here anyway. Thank you for the pfd--I've never actually seen a picture of the stable sergeant rank before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gidday Wolf

This updated version is the bible on US Army chevrons , I'm working with Hardstripe and others on collecting 1872-1902 chevrons , its taking me a little while (several months) to get my head around the rank structure and various different styles , also the different uniforms these were for. This is a new collecting area for me (main collecting area US Army SSI 1930-60'S) and Bill Emmerson's book has played a major part in me deciding to show an evolution of US Army chevrons ($$ permitted!)and also understanding why these changes had come about, a great history lesson that follows the chronology of the US.

Phill

Wolf,

In answer to your question about differences in the two Emerson Chevrons books, the new one is much better. It has been enlarged and contains much more information and a lot more color. It is worth every penny of its cost.

I had heard for years that Xerox copies of the original book were going for hundreds of dollars, but with the new book now out, you can get a much better deal for a lot less money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello again, all:

I've combed through LTC Emerson's books and acquired a fairly extensive collection of brassards and chevrons at this point--even had a productive back and forth with LTC Emerson and learned that I was barking up the wrong tree for a couple of chevrons that just didn't exist or weren't authorized. Really, the research he put into the chevrons is the super valuable takeaway from his new book for me--I'd still like to have large color copies and images, but hey, I'm a picture kind of guy. That being said, this community of collectors isn't that big--is it one of you who owns the example of the field artillery veterinary sergeant chevron he has an image of in his book? The three big ones I am currently looking for still are:

1. Veterinary Sergeant

2. Electrician Sergeant

3. Artillery Drum Major

4. The unauthorized and unissued Artillery Saddler Sergeant. I saw one listed on eBay that sold for 153 the other day, but when I showed it to LTC Emerson, he noted that it had properties that indicated it was a put together piece. Really a spectacular and --patient for putting up with my peppering of questions--guy.

Good pictures would help, too, but looking to acquire the originals. I've only found a couple of the dress chevrons, but those are on my list. Just scored some field artillery stable sergeant chevrons, and I'm absolutely thrilled with them.

Hit me up if you've got images or chevrons--I think building a great picture book would be a nice way ahead.

-Wolf

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in again,

This is where I'm at in the artillery brassard and chevron collection thus far. A few others I still have for trade or sale in the picture, too.

-Wolfpost-153900-0-60722600-1449354823.jpg

• 2 weeks later...