Scarce variation of the V42

Eric Queen

Or, at least I have not seen a lot of the unmarked or reverse marked (CASE logo on opposite side) examples.

DSC_1112.JPG

Reverse. For those who remember the "Omaha three" a couple years back I believe one of those was not marked either.

DSC_1114.JPG

Eric,

This is "the stuff that dreams are made of" for anyone who either collects or simply appreciates elite unit uniforms, insignia, and gear. Congratulations on another outstanding acquisition and thank you for posting it so that the rest of us can share in the history.

I assume that the Pegasus formation signs were added to the uniform fairly late in the war. They are very nice printed examples. Can you tell us what regiment the buttons represent?

From a collector's curiosity standpoint- would you mind shooting photos of the force cord and of the back side of the US para badge?

Thanks!

Allan

Thanks Allan. He, like many of the Canadian Force guys, was put into the 1st Can Para in early 45 after the Force disbanded on Dec. 5, 1944 (he wrote Jan 44 in the letter but meant Jan 45). So yes the printed Pegasus patches are what you would expect at this point in the war. They are both nicely machine sewn to the tunic (see attached). The US jump wing is just a standard blah blah US made pin back wing, nothing special. The cord is the standard Helena piece with the red/blue loops (compared to the French made cord with two white loops). Again, nothing out of the ordinary.

As you know, these blades were made by hand by a number of different craftsmen and most likely that is why you sometimes encounter variations (anomalies) like this. There probably isn't any more meaning than that with these but always fun to look at.

EQ

m5.jpg

Well, this is just amazing ... identified items with written explanations from the owner :huh:

I just can dream about such a grouping ...

E

Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and for the improved view of the Pegasus formation sign. This one isn't just a keeper, but a centerpiece for even the most advanced collector. Again, congratulations on your acquisition!

Allan

Thanks to all for the comments, I appreciate it. I did not obtain the material directly from Mr.McFadden myself but I did get it from the person who did. He also had his Denison smock which he used on the Rhine jump. I passed on it because I thought it was kind of strange (perhaps I am just too uneducated). First of all, the tail was cut off (which I can live with) but what was strange (to me) was the fact that the sleeve insignia was glued on. On both sleeves there was a canvas 1st Can Para title and printed Pegasus which were glued on. The really odd thing was the jump wing. It was hand sewn on but sewn in in reverse (see below). I don't know maybe this had some meaning. My first thought was that the insignia was glued on for some kind of homecoming parade or something like that.

Allan, any thoughts?

Thanks

Eric

get-attachment.jpg

Hi Eric,

It is rather common to find the "monkey tail" (or "ape tail") cut off of the Denison smocks as they weren't comfortable to wear with the flaps buttoned after the jump and they didn't always stay snapped up in the back as designed. You don't normally see formation signs or titles on wartime worn smocks, but they were worn that way post war. Is it possible that your veteran continued to serve after WWII?

I've seen patches sewn on backwards a time or two, but usually, the back side of the patch was rather similar to the front side. I cannot imagine a major in the Canadian army wearing his parachute brevet with the gold maple leaf showing up black. Perhaps it was added by the collector from which you got the other items, or by someone who tried to help the major "doll up" his Denison for wear as a veteran for a parade or reunion?

That is VERY interesting that the Denison would be done up that way.

Allan