Flight Helmet

byf41

Helmet looks fine.

Goggles look like civilian or commercial type dust or safety goggles from the period.Any markings on the leather tabs?

Only picture available at this time . Seller states his father flew 35 missions wearing this rig on a B17 during WWII including the mic .

SergeantMajorGray

Only picture available at this time . Seller states his father flew 35 missions wearing this rig on a B17 during WWII including the mic .

I could be wrong but since this is a summer helmet this would not have been worn by a B-17 crewmen due to the high altitude they fly the wearers head would freeze.

Theorically, anything is possible - a bit less is probable. Helmet looks to be a AN-H-15 summer type, I do not see this as a item worn by B-17 crewmember.

Moreover looking at the (factory-fitted maybe?) four snaps each side for a wider adjustement of A-14 oxy mask, this should be a later specimen of AN-H-15. By then that T-30 throat mike was rather obsolete, being replaced by a proper mask-mounted one, like the M-254.

This all sounds logical to me guys , thanks . Maybe Im getting as BS story or the story as he remembers it . I know better than to buy the story . I will try to get more details but it is what it is . I guess bottom line is that it is WWII vintage rig ?

SergeantMajorGray

This all sounds logical to me guys , thanks . Maybe Im getting as BS story or the story as he remembers it . I know better than to buy the story . I will try to get more details but it is what it is . I guess bottom line is that it is WWII vintage rig ?

The helmet and mic are the goggles are civilian.

The helmet and mic look okay to me. Perhaps he flew in the Pacific where they often flew at lower altitudes.

The goggles look like the early Resistol goggles used mainly by tank crews. Resistols in good condition like these often fetch several hundred dollars.

More photos and better photos are needed for proper identification & valuation.

SergeantMajorGray, on 11 Aug 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:
I could be wrong but since this is a summer helmet this would not have been worn by a B-17 crewmen due to the high altitude they fly the wearers head would freeze.

They wore them on B17's. My Uncle was the tailgunner on the B17 "Mrs Geezil" that was shot down on a mission to Schweinfurt on April 13th 1944.He spent the rest of the war as a POW in Stalag 17B along with the left waist gunner. The left waist gunner(Phil) is still alive and sharp as a tack. I asked Phil what was he wearing the day they were shot down. He told me his flight helmet was the cloth type with the big black ear pieces. I asked him once again to make sure it wasn't a leather flight helmet and he said no it was the material type. I have seen several pic's with the AN H15 being worn by B17 crews from the 384th BG. I was also looking for clarification on the O2 mask he wore he mentioned that he used a throat mic. So I went with the A14 mask and T30 to finish my display to honor these Gent's.

Semper Fi
Phil

They wore them on B17's. My Uncle was the tailgunner on the B17 "Mrs Geezil" that was shot down on a mission to Schweinfurt on April 13th 1944.He spent the rest of the war as a POW in Stalag 17B along with the left waist gunner. The left waist gunner(Phil) is still alive and sharp as a tack. I asked Phil what was he wearing the day they were shot down. He told me his flight helmet was the cloth type with the big black ear pieces. I asked him once again to make sure it wasn't a leather flight helmet and he said no it was the material type. I have seen several pic's with the AN H15 being worn by B17 crews from the 384th BG. I was also looking for clarification on the O2 mask he wore he mentioned that he used a throat mic. So I went with the A14 mask and T30 to finish my display to honor these Gent's.

Semper Fi

Phil

Also keep in mind pilots and aircrew may have had more than one flying helmet. Just finished a biography of an 8th AF pilot yesterday. In one photo he has an A-11 helmet with B-8 goggles. He also has a B-4 Mae west on. In another photo he has an RAF type C helmet, RAF type 8 goggles and an RAF Mae west.

Plenty of images out there of guys wearing the cloth helmet in the Fall and Winter too. To try and box in aircrew to one type of helmet or anything else for that matter just doesn't work :)

• 1 month later...

Well I picked up the group today . I spoke at length with the guys son . His dad flew 35 missions in the ETO on a B17 with the 390th bombing wing . He was a second lieutenant at the time and was promoted to Major at wars end . Hes gonna send me docs and pictures . He thinks maybe one wearing this rig . Again , this is his story , not mine .

Great grouping. All you need now is a A14 O2 mask to complet this set up.

I just finished putting together the same combo in honor of my Uncle. I have to get a pic of it and get it posted here.

Member doinworkinvan helped me out with the AN H 15 flight helmet.

Semper Fi

Phil