when you are stupid, you are stupid !

usaaf93

Hello

I recently bought for 20 dollars this camo coveralls directly from the vet grandson. This guy liked to play paintball and he had the great idea of using his grandfather's camo suit.

Do you have any idea on how to remove the pink paint from it ?

Thanks

Julien

20140810.jpg

River Patrol

Gently hand wash it with Woolite.....that paint should come out easily.

Garandomatic

It always came out of the woodland and flektarn that I wore, but if it sat around for long periods of time, like years, it did tend to stain. Good luck. Maybe soaking it would help before you wash.

Even if it can come out, what an idiot! Who uses vintage military uniforms in paintball!! What a waste of such a nice piece. I hope you can get the paint out

Even if it can come out, what an idiot! Who uses vintage military uniforms in paintball?......

Someone who has no idea of it's value nor collects militaria. Hey, I played in my dad's fatigues when I was young and ignorant.

Someone who has no idea of it's value nor collects militaria. Hey, I played in my dad's fatigues when I was young and ignorant.

That is true. Sorry if I offended you

Thanks for your answers.

I already put it with some soap in the wash machine. I put it inside a net to protect it. I used cold temperature. The green paint went out (because there used to be green paint too !!) but the pink paint is still here.

That was a deal on this people really don't understand what things are worth, my father told me about a man he knew who wore an SS winter jacket for hunting in the 70s, it just goes to show you what people will use. Great deal on this, even if the paint does not come out, it is not terribly noticeable

I knew a WWII Para-vet who came home with his M-1941 jump jacket. I asked him what he did with it, he told me he used it for painting and yard work. He finally threw it out a year or so before meeting me. It is what it is, but I'd of been thrilled to have it even with the paint on it.

RustyCanteen

I knew a WWII Para-vet who came home with his M-1941 jump jacket. I asked him what he did with it, he told me he used it for painting and yard work. He finally threw it out a year or so before meeting me. It is what it is, but I'd of been thrilled to have it even with the paint on it.

And if he had given it to a grandson to use while hunting or playing it might not have been tossed into the trash as a useless jacket. We should be thankful (if not grateful) that there are people out there who thought enough of this old stuff to hang onto it, even if they used it themselves. It kept a lot of it out of the trash can.

Of course I am thankful to him for selling it. What I don't understand is what some people dare to do with their father's or grandfather's army stuffs. It's part of their family history and sometimes they don't care about destroying it.

I have heard also 100 times, old people telling me they threw everything in the fire because there were a couple of moth holes in the uniform or who cares about this old military junk ?!!

We've made it valuable. For a long long time it wasn't.

You could buy a brand new P51 for a couple thousand bucks back in the day, with gas in the tanks. Think about the massive amounts of stuff leftover after WW2. It was scrap, junk, name it what you want. A stock 51 now will run a couple million dollars.

I know like Bugme I ran around in my Dads uniforms playing army all the time. His helmet bounced off the ground, grass or concrete every time I go "shot". When I was in Junior High back in the early 70s, there was a fad for a while where everyone was wearing Ike Jackets from the surplus store.

In all honesty, if we are going to talk about stupid, it's this notion that this "stuff" is as valuable as we've made it, considering the incredible amounts of it produced. Unless there is the story of the vet connected to the stuff, it's not really worth more than the sum of its parts.

What I'd like to know is did you take any time to learn about the vet? In the end the value is in preserving his story more than his stuff.

My opinion of course.

River Patrol

If the pink didn't come out after washing.....wet it again or soak it.....throw it on the ground and use a soft nylon handbrush or toothbrush and rub each paint spot.....maybe it'll help.

@38Driver

Yes I tried to talk about the vet but the grandson did not know anything about his military career (unfortunately). When I wrote "stupid" (sorry if I hurt someone by the way), I was thinking about the way this was "preserved" regardless of value. Whether the vet was a paratrooper in ww2 or in the financial department, I wish their uniforms would be taken care of from their family.

@ River Patrol

Thanks for the help. I'll try it if it doesn't come out

I think it is rather harsh to use words like stupid on a person who one has never met before and carried on a conversation with before. As collectors sometimes folks are quick to judge someone because they don't view old uniforms and other Militaria items like many of us do, as collectors.

I guess I'm stupid for wearing my fathers Korean War era boots and fatigues while working with him in the garden when I was growing up...

Suppose you had something you were selling to that same person and you didn't know what the item was or the value because it did not fit in your collecting interests? Then that person posted and bragged "how stupid this guy was" I bought this from him and he didn't know what it was..

38Driver .. Thank you for your response..

We're not perfect in any way, and as far as I know there was only One Perfect Person, and He died for our Sins....

Leigh

River Patrol

It's all good....emotions can take the best of us....you didn't name him personally so there's no slander and we can all move on and see if this thing cleans up!

Patchcollector

This subject kind of reminds me of something that happened to me once.When I was a kid I acquired some assorted sport cards(mostly football) from a friend.
He had written his first name in ink on the backs of all the cards.Years later,I found them and seeing a few early Joe Nameth pieces I decided to take them to the local shop that dealt with these items,and upon entering,saw a sweet faced old lady behind the counter.
I showed her the cards and she seemed a bit excited until she turned them over and saw the name written on the them.She then told me they were'nt worth much,so I picked them up and as I was leaving I heard her say"Too bad he wrote on them.What an "@sshole".I said nothing but felt like turning to her and saying"He was a little kid,give him a break".
Point of story is that if someone does something of this nature in ignorance they should not be held accountable.Many just do not know the value that some items possess,and like the kid in my story,did'nt have the foresight to realize that someday their stuff may become hot collectibles.

I myself am guilty of this as well.If I had held on to all my GI Joes,Matchbox cars,Tyco slot cars,etc... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add to the comment from an earlier post about using a nylon brush to help brush out the pink stains:

Be VERY careful using the brush. It is easy to over-brush an area, causing the fabric to wear/fade more in the spots where you worked the fabric. This in turn creates a faded spot around the stain, which actually makes it more noticeable. If a long soaking period and a careful cleaning with an appropriate soap doesn't clear up the stains, I wouldn't try too much more. Sometimes it is better to leave things as they are, than to attempt to improve a minor defect and creating a major flaw in the process.

Manchu Warrior

I have a different way of looking at this. Here is an example. When I was 19 I drove a beautiful 1969 Dodge Super Bee until I pretty much destroyed it. I also destroyed a 1972 400 big block Charger a 1972 340 Duster, a 1973 340 Demon. What can I say? I was a little rough on the cars of my youth. Anyways, all of them were in pretty decent shape and I paid less then $2500 for the four cars combined. I now actually cry when I see these cars come up for auction on them fancy car auctions on TV. With that said. I figured I did a favor for the car collectors of today. Because if it wasn't for knuckleheads like me that tore the old muscle cars up in my youth there would be to many left and they wouldn't be anywhere near as valuable. Honestly it stills brings tears to my eyes when I think to hard on what I did to those cars so my rational doesn't work so well. Here is another one. When I was a little younger I drilled out the eyes of every Mickey Mantle card I got out of a pack of Topps with a pencil simply because I was an Orioles fan. And all the Yankees cards were the ones that got clipped onto the spokes of my Schwinn. I mean who knew??