Show Your DCUs

Sbas

The ending price on that jacket doesn't suprise me in the least. SF DCU's are not easy to find and usually command a higher price than most other DCU's. This one should have went substantially higher due to rarity and the sleeve pocket modifications. Someone got a good deal.

I have also been noticing a growing interest in DCU's on the internet. All I can tell you is this.....the sources I go to for good patched DCU's have been drying up. Every time I go hit them up for items, I am seeing a decline in the amount of patched DCU's. There are still a large number of unpatched or stripped DCU's, but the patched ones are being snapped up by collectors. NOW...before anyone says a word, it is not me buying them all up. :lol:

I went to a show this weekend and stocked up on some good 82nd ABN DCU's and other units we don't see in my neck of the woods. I even bought several that had been stripped for restoration products this winter.

Arch

Okay....after taking a second look at this uniform, I'm a little concerned about the authenticity. Why is there no Airborne tab attached to the SOCOM patch on the left sleeve? Looking at his qualification badges, he has Master Blaster wings and to be in Special Forces, you have to be Airborne qualified. Why would the soldier not attach an Airborne tab under his Ranger tab? To me, something just doesn't add up on this jacket.

Arch

Just picked this modified DCU up today. Just missing the name tape and a 1st ID

VERY nice DCU. That one looks like it would be fairly easy to research.

Arch

Nice pic of you in the FRACU, I was going to make a stupid comment catching a new bug but seeing you in action just makes me thankful that I can freely go out and shop.

John

This group started last night and ended today BDU, DCU,DCU,Modified DCU and a CCU from the same officer.

post-2723-1252709940.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I recently picked this up for a relatively decent price, compared to what the seller (who's on the level) usually charges. I'm assuming it's real, but if anyone can verify the name, please PM me.

dscn2823.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

bringing thread back from dead, here is my cheap rack with the DCUs and MARPAT desert, from front to back (Right to Left) USMC desert MARPAT< named and ranked full uniform with boonie, 1991 Dated 6 color DCU, 10th MTN patch on one side, flag on other, US ARMY tape, green patches and tape un named, think Somali era?, Big Red 1 DCU top, missing rank badges, but named, otherwise complete, CIB'd 101st ABN DCU, named and completely patched, no rank, unnamed (stripped name tape, but otherwise complete) ranked, CIB'd, 1st Armored Division DCU, and last but not least, an AF Tech SGT named and ranked DCU, with Air Combat Command patch. this is an ongoing collection obviously lol.

PICT0168.jpg

Question: What is the consensus here, regarding the value of DCU's? I realize there are variables involved (rank, unit, etc.), but what is a ballpark figure as to worth? I've noticed that people on the forum will occasionally remark that they won't pay more than about 10 or 12 bucks.

Question: What is the consensus here, regarding the value of DCU's? I realize there are variables involved (rank, unit, etc.), but what is a ballpark figure as to worth? I've noticed that people on the forum will occasionally remark that they won't pay more than about 10 or 12 bucks.

hold on to them for bout 10 years or so ;) i've seen between $15 to $35, depending on unit, theatre, how decked out, and also, on how minty or salty......(example, my 10th mtn patched unissued 6 color, no signs of name tape ever being put on, 1990s dated, would be reasonably worth $25 or so, since it didnt see service, but it is also a very scarce DCU top for the Somalia/Haiti era of operations with the 10th MTN division) and also, if its got SOCOM, SF, RANGER tabs or something, modified as well, then worth more than $10-12, BUT people are buying them up....

I've been a rather conservative in my pickings. I pass stuff up on epay and it always gets snapped up, to my regret. I've passed up several DCU's at the local thrift store as well, but they mostly were USAF.

Here's my DCU collection, backed up by most of my worthless BDU's:

dscn2827.jpg

Some nice jackets there, but why do you feel that your BDUs are 'worthless'? Perhaps they are not at all scarce, but if we only collect things that are scarce or rare then we need to revisit our purpose for saving all of this stuff in the first place. The day will come when the history of the BDU from the early 1980s until recently will become a really neat topic. (I for one enjoy it already.) As the supply of surplus jackets gradually works its way into the system and then begins to dry up over the next 20 years, a new generation of collectors will begin to differentiate between various patterns (Elvis collar, lightweight, heavyweight, Honduran-made, etc...) and the various regulations for patches and so forth - the possibilities are endless. There were a lot of interesting deployments and operations during this period, and collectors will seek out representative examples.

We all fantasize about stepping back in time to the 1940s or 1960s, or to the surplus stores of our youths when nothing was more than $2. Well geez, many outlets are dumping fully patched BDUs for about that much money today, with dozens or hundreds to choose from. What more could a collector ask for? To each his or her own, but I forget about the market value and concentrate on the material cultural appeal of the artifacts. BDUs have a lot of material cultural value.

I've been a rather conservative in my pickings. I pass stuff up on epay and it always gets snapped up, to my regret. I've passed up several DCU's at the local thrift store as well, but they mostly were USAF.

dscn2827.jpg

dscn2827.jpg

So, what's wrong with the Air Force? Is it a matter of them not having the unit patches?

To follow up Beast's question, the USAF is great for the vast range of pocket patches. These designs are works of art in their own right. Also, the full-sized sleeve chevrons are pretty cool. And, of course, the selection of qualification badges is rich.

Here is a DCU-BDU grouping that I got from a fellow member of this forum.

Capt Paul Leo Larson

173rd Airborne Brigade

Chalk 1, Operation Northern Delay

Bashur Drop Zone, Northern Iraq

24th March 2003

Awarded Bronze Star Combat Parachutist Badge: For participation in a parachute assault landing into enemy controlled territory.

Information and pre-jump photo from http://www.173rdairborne.com/menu.htm

Capt Larson is on the right. Capt Hughes also of Chalk 1 is on the left. This photo was taken on the flight line on the day of the jump.

CptBrianHughesandCptPaulLarson.jpg

DCU. Notice from the print that it is the same jacket shown above.

uniforms211.jpg

uniforms193-1.jpg

uniforms196.jpg

uniforms195.jpg

BDU

uniforms210.jpg

uniforms203-1.jpg

uniforms201.jpg

Favorite load carry equipment with the 173rd at the time, Capt Larson's ALICE Web gear.

uniforms217.jpg

One interesting thing to notice on CPT Larson's dcu is the use of the small US Flag on the lower left sleeve under the SSI. This was done because the 173rd was stationed in Italy and, so far as I know, NATO or Statue of Forces agreements required this flag to be worn. This is a much smaller flag than the one currently worn on the right sleeve.

To follow up Beast's question, the USAF is great for the vast range of pocket patches. These designs are works of art in their own right. Also, the full-sized sleeve chevrons are pretty cool. And, of course, the selection of qualification badges is rich.

So, what's wrong with the Air Force? Is it a matter of them not having the unit patches?

Well the thrift/vintage clothing store I mentioned, used to have tons and tons of USAF BDU's, most mundane but some that were interesting. One, which was incomplete, had a rare B-1 bomber-related patch on it which I promptly sold for a good chunk of change. I remember seeing one with a V-22 Osprey test team patch on it. I do still have a couple AF BDU's; in fact there's a DCU with the XVIII Airborne Corps patch, in the photo above.

They regularly have AF DCU's so I'm wondering if I should start grabbing some. I guess there's more USAF stuff where I am, since it's California.