U.S. Army Air Service Searchlight

AZvtgLight

This big bad baby came out of California. I was told it had been a navy searchlight. Or a spotlight or a floodlight. But when I took it off the truck, I noticed the two brass riveted tags, one from Westinghouse and the other stating US Army Air Service. I figured it pre-dates the Air Force - my militaria buddy informed me it's a bit older than that...

The light measures about 28" in diameter, big but not huge. It appears to be cast aluminum. It rests on a solid bronze yoke. It has two inner mirrored reflectors made by Bausch and Lomb. The outer convex glass lens is made by Crouse Hinds (I know them, they made explosion proof lighting). The outer faded paint appears to be black with large wide yellow stripes.

I've already started its restoration. It needed a hinge pin for its outer cover. Did that -not too hard. It needs a socket - got that handled too, as I have lots of vtg porcelain sockets, even some large mogul size bulbs.

To you folks out there... Any ideas on further identifying it? Was it actually a searchlight or perhaps a spotlight? Anyone have a vintage pic?

And suggestions for a paint scheme? Back to what it had or what was on it originally?

Oh, and here is the real icing on the cake.... This was one of three that were used to light the Paramount Movie Studios water tower in Hollywood.... In it's second life perhaps?

And yes, it may be for sale if I can get my hands on one of the others...

post-153869-0-43999200-1407521707.jpg

post-153869-0-27870800-1407521719.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have the same light in original condition,I havent found any information online about it. Do you know of a website that might have more information about them? Thanks in advance.

Hello!

This is WWI vintage, and shortly thereafter. The Air Service became the Army Air Corps in 1926. It was probably not used in France, as the searchlights used by the AEF were mostly British and French supplied, in 18", 36" or 60" sizes. They were purchased locally to save on shipping space. I would presume that an o.d. paint scheme would be appropriate, but I have never seen a light used at any of the air stations stateside during that timeframe. MHJ