Machine Gun Co 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Division DSC Citation and Medal Group

BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD

I recently picked this group up and was very excited to get it, as I do not have a DSC citation let alone one from WWI. When I received the citation the DSC and VM along with the two DSC pin-back ribbon bars were pinned to the citation and the two extra ribbons were taped to it, inside the glass and wood frame, the citation was backed with a piece of cardboard held in place with nails along the outer edge of the frame. I assume that Joe or his family placed the medals and ribbons there when he received the citation some time in late 1925 or early 1926.

post-5224-0-32280100-1407210460.jpg

post-5224-0-04548800-1407210700.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

I carefully disassembled the group and removed the medals, found a piece of acid free backing and cut it to fit in the back of the frame, when putting it back together I noticed that the pin back ribbon bars were were pressing hard against the frame so I removed them as well before reassembling the citation and frame. I took some pictures of the group without the glass for posting here, to show how it looked when I received it.

post-5224-0-70816000-1407211731.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

It seems that he had 2 DSC issued one with the Name Joseph P #1690 and the other under the his name without a middle initial #5502 which came with the 1925 Certificate that I have now.

post-5224-0-33722000-1407211885.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

Regardless of when the medal came to him, Joe was a true leader coming up through the ranks and taking charge and making tough decisions during some of the hardest fighting that the US Army faced in WWI and I’m extremely happy to be caretaker of this group.

Thanks For Looking,

John

post-5224-0-40608500-1407212065.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

I also owe Robert Wilson aka tarbridge a big "Thank You" for providing me with the DSC Citation write up. Robert's help was invaluable in confirming numbers of the two DSC’s issued to Joe.

Thanks

John

Way to dig out a group John...A good honest group and a compliment to your collection. Congrats

BigJohn#3RD

Thanks Guys I am honored to be the Care Taker of the Group and look forward to updating one and all when I have more information on the Veteran.

Regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful set, the DSC is our most beautiful medal (IMO). The citation sounds like a MoH award.

I agree, great design for a decoration.

W

• 4 weeks later...

Hey BigJohn,

I finally found your thread, and it really is a cool presentation of one soldier's valor! The 7th MGB was the original Rock of the Marne at Chateau Thierry which was rushed to the front partly , I think, because it was motorized! They were the first element of the 3rd ID on the Marne in 1918! Was this soldier there and did he realize there that the few can make a profound difference for the many?! Thanks for helping to save these artifacts but also this soldier's history!

Tennessee

MILLER, Joseph P.

Sergeant (Infantry) - WW I

Unit: Machine Gun Company, 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Division

Date and Place: October 12, 1918; near Cunel, France

Medal Number: 1690 and 5502

Source: War Department General Orders No. 98 (August 2, 1919)

Other Awards: Third Division Silver Citation Star

Burial: Unknown

Note: He was born in Ascension Parish, Louisiana and entered the Army from Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Old Guy

MILLER, Joseph P.

Sergeant (Infantry) - WW I

Unit: Machine Gun Company, 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Division

Date and Place: October 12, 1918; near Cunel, France

Medal Number: 1690 and 5502

Source: War Department General Orders No. 98 (August 2, 1919)

Other Awards: Third Division Silver Citation Star

Burial: Unknown

Note: He was born in Ascension Parish, Louisiana and entered the Army from Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Old Guy

• 4 years later...

John,

A late reply to revive this thread. I have reasons to believe that this soldier was my great grandpa... During WW1, an American soldier met my great grandma (a French citizen) in Beaune, France. They exchanged letters (which I have copies of) for many years and she eventually became pregnant with my grandpa towards the end of the war. He unfortunately had to return to the US and was never able to come back. My grandma eventually remarried and her husband adopted my grandpa (who was named Joseph).

I have been trying to gather information about what happened to Joseph Miller and try to determine if he possibly had a family in the US after returning from war. Your post is one of the only documents I have found that contains his information. My grandpa was obviously born in France, so was my mom and myself after that. Funny enough, after 2 generations, I have migrated to the US (been here 16 years now) when I was 20 years old. While my grandpa is no longer with us, it would be amazing to find out if I have "relatives" here. Any tips on what I can pursue would be appreciated, and thank you for sharing this great piece.