Indochina French TAP lizard pattern

ARVNcollector

Posted Image

From one extreme to another.

Vietnamese made 56

French 51

Both mint condition but drastic color variation.

In black and white pics it's possible with a bit of study to seperate the patterns.

It's a up hill battle though and fabric is way way different between prints and year of manufacture.

As the war went on guard details wore the latest French pattern as an status uniform.

When French supplies dried up they began to make their own 56 print.

My suit in Viet made 56 came from a large grouping to include black.. Tiger ...

Leopard ...frog skin all Viet made from one grouping.

This also included other cut jackets that were plainer in cut that the TAPstyle.

I hope this clears up this murky subject

:-)

Owen

I really like this camo pattern! Is there a site where the differences between the various variants are shown? I have a shelterhalf in lizard and it would be nice to know which variant it is.

This is an incredible picture ! Do you know it was taken and the year ? The soldier in french cammies has a M51 helmet liner. The girl has a PX purchase TAP53 belt.

Hi Andrei

I dont know exactly but I think (with my friends) form Cambodia.....the girl is carrying RPD

???

Best Regards :(

Hi Andrei

I dont know exactly but I think (with my friends) form Cambodia.....the girl is carrying RPD

???

Best Regards :(

Probably FANK troops. This girl is a genuine frontovichka !

Squad leader

This is an incredible picture ! Do you know it was taken and the year ? The soldier in french cammies has a M51 helmet liner. The girl has a PX purchase TAP53 belt.

Hi Andrei,

The junkle hat worn by the girl looks to be French made as well.

Dan.

Hi Andrei,

The junkle hat worn by the girl looks to be French made as well.

Dan.

I don't think so. Looks like there is a snap on both sides. Right side is snapped and left side hung loose but we can see a snap on the brim. French era made jungle hats had only one side with a snap.

vintageproductions

Ok, what's the story on this one then?

It's cut like an exposed button jungle jacket, without epaulettes, and has a small cigarette pocket on sleeve like some tigers.

lizard.JPG

LoL my pants are still dry but thats indeed a incredible piece of camouflage!!
Thanks for showing this beauty Bob!!
Also some very instructive pictures have been posted here!
Owen you are right everything was obviously possible with Vietnam and I learn something new everyday!

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Owen,

I'll have to dig it out of storage. When I do I'll post some pics. I didn't think it was anything special and still may not be. I thought it was unusual as it was printed on fabric very different than any other French uniforms I own. I had no clue that there was Viet made lizard fabric.

Cheers,

Matt

Squad leader

I don't think so. Looks like there is a snap on both sides. Right side is snapped and left side hung loose but we can see a snap on the brim. French era made jungle hats had only one side with a snap.

Thanks Andrei.

I didn't notice the right side was snapped.

Dan.

ARVNcollector

Greetings All,

Would you say that this jacket is a match for the pair of pants I posted at the beginning of the thread? (The pants' base color is more green than shown in the photo).

post-151053-0-18123300-1408434621.jpgpost-151053-0-89653900-1408434635.jpgpost-151053-0-55714900-1408434713.jpg

Thanks,

Alan

I have pics of US advisors wearing it 100%

If you look at the original tiger thread I posted a suit that is Viet made and in tap 56

Owen