• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bluespicker

Bluespicker
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 153,154
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

SAC always maintained that it needed a flight helmet without a visor. The HGU-9/P fulfilled this requirement in the early/mid 1960s. The HGU-9/P was manufactured by
the Bill Jack Scientific Instrument Company. Bill Jack was bought out by CAL-MIL Plastics around 1965 and CAL-MIL continued to make this helmet into the early 70s when it was finally discontinued.
The HGU-9/ was equipped with an MBU-5/P Oxygen mask, H-154/AIC Headset and used in USAF Bomber Aircraft. Aircrew were issued the gold coated nuclear flash goggles for wear with nearly every USAF flight helmet including the HGU-9/P. The Foamrubber liners in these helmets deteriorate to dust and very few of the liners exist today. This helmet had the rayon cloth liner but no Foamrubber liner. I was able to work with a company here in North Carolina and fabricate a replacement liner for this helmet. If there is any interest we could make a few more.

Attached Images

• HC-00151.jpg
  • front.jpg
  • side view.jpg

#2 majormadmax

majormadmax
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 181,779
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

I just picked up a Bill Jack AFD10-9B with a SAC decal on top and a snap-on sun visor.  As expected the liner is in poor shape.  Is there any chance that the company in North Carolina that made a replacement for yours can still make one?

Cheers!  M2

#3 majormadmax

majormadmax
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 181,779
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

Pics of mine...

Attached Images

• HGU-9P (1).jpg
  • HGU-9P (4).jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic