USMC KABAR

LtRGFRANK

A friend gave me a knife to check on that he bought at a gun show. I've read several posts here on the Forum and I believe its a last war knife. Its blade marked USMC in the small Font and USMC in the smaller font with no Orleans NY mark. The grip has no red spacers and is bulbed shaped not straight. It has the rectanlgalur end that is riveted on I guess as I can discribe it The Sheath is brown and is stapled not riveted with the drain/tie down hole. My question is how were they changed post war to be able to ID the difference

Greg Robinson
A friend gave me a knife to check on that he bought at a gun show. I've read several posts here on the Forum and I believe its a last war knife. Its blade marked USMC in the small Font and USMC in the smaller font with no Orleans NY mark. The grip has no red spacers and is bulbed shaped not straight. It has the rectanlgalur end that is riveted on I guess as I can discribe it The Sheath is brown and is stapled not riveted with the drain/tie down hole. My question is how were they changed post war to be able to ID the difference

That sounds like the last WW2 contract USMC 1219c2 knife by Union Cutlery aka "KA-BAR". At the end of the war all contracts were cancelled and no more knives of this pattern were made until about 1960. The first of the so called postwar k-bars were made by Utica Cutlery. The new specification changed the markings on the blade to the format: US / maker name. So they're easy to distinguish from wartime "k-bars".

In 1962, the 7th Regimental (battalion?) supply had a pallet size box full of used K-Bars. These weren’t issued to Marines armed with a pistol at Camp Pendleton, and don’t believe they were even issued when the regiment was sent to Cuban waters.

Best wishes, Jim

Greg Robinson

The 1st pattern of the post WW2 k-bars made by UTICA in 1960. They were still made to the ww2 specs but for the markings. A year of so later the specs changed changing the color of the leather, plastic coating the handle, straightening the guard, and relocating and reducing number of scabbard rivits. And they were no longer a Marine Corps or Navy service specific item.

post-4-1213723144.jpg

post-4-1213723221.jpg

Thank you gentlemen. My friend will be happy to hear the news. I was pretty sure it was WWII but going to the experts will make him even more happy. I had went to the same gunshow and missed it. Darn .Thanks again

Hi, The Ka-bar pictured came out of the 7th Regiment supply in 1962. The condition is better than most of the others. It's marked "USMC" on the guard, but no other markings. There were no new Ka-bars available, just those that had probably been used in Korea.

Jim

post-397-1214146734.jpg

I suppose I'm blind as a bat---Camillus, NY is indeed stamped on the guard. Sorry about that.

Jim