Vietnam, "Red Mike" A Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment

DaddyDog

Thanks everyone. The name of the person to whom this group is attributed is shown on the back of the Army Aviation Association of America medal in the center of the display. Here is a closer view of that award.

post-6880-14070115474667.jpg

He was the Commandant of the NCO Academy at Fort Stewart Georgia from August 1978 - July 1981. Does anyone have a photo of him?

DaddyDog,

Thanks for the update (reminder). I have to admit I have no recollection of the "Mike" designation. Of course it was only 40 plus years ago....

The websites you linked have great information also. Thanks for sharing your grouping and the information.

Congratulations on an authentic and historic grouping.

Ken.

DaddyDog,

Thanks for the update (reminder). I have to admit I have no recollection of the "Mike" designation. Of course it was only 40 plus years ago....

The websites you linked have great information also. Thanks for sharing your grouping and the information.

Congratulations on an authentic and historic grouping.

Ken.

Thanks Ken, and if no one has told you lately; "thank you very much for your service". That cannot be stated enough for our veterans. I am a retired 1SG having served from 1978-1998.

Now to the topic... Here is another link with an interesting read about the term Red Mike. http://armedsavagesix12.blogspot.com/2013/01/oprpt-october-1969-clarification.html

snake36bravo

He may have gone 1/9 later but he was likely in 161st Assault Helicopter Co first. Those Scorpions on that APH5 are a dead give away.

post-2582-0-96822300-1407027312.jpg

He may have gone 1/9 later but he was likely in 161st Assault Helicopter Co first. Those Scorpions on that APH5 are a dead give away.

I saw that photo posted on the page for A Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment. It shows several others as well. There is a photo there labeled as A Troop 1/9th Cav gun platoon "Red Scorpions" in their revetments at LZ Dog, 1967.

http://www.vhpamuseum.org/9thcav/1stsquad/1stsquadaTroop.shtml

I have reached out through the Facebook page of the Alpha Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry. Early feedback suggest the Red Scorpions name goes back to 1965 or 66. It was stated this would have been in the days of B- and C-model gunships, when the platoon sergeants flew daily. I will keep everyone posted on what I can learn. Perhaps someone will know details about the helmet and history.

My thanks goes out to all currently helping to research this grouping. I count it a great privilege to be caretaker to this collection.

Please take a look at the following link which confirms the correct tactical markings associated to this unit. The same markings can be seen on the period photographs, linked and attached earlier, of the Red Scorpion helicopters.

http://vietnam-hueys.tripod.com/1st%20Air%20Cav%20markings%20page.htm

Awesome group really love the helmet, this soldier must have been busy during the war with 4 oak leafs on his bronze star

Yes...I believe he was very busy...judging by the Vietnam Service Medal (with arrowhead device and Bronze and Silver Service Stars) and the Air Medal with numeral 12.

post-6880-0-10882700-1407276718.jpg

He was the Commandant of the NCO Academy at Fort Stewart Georgia from August 1978 - July 1981. Does anyone have a photo of him?

Maybe if it's possible you can contact the folks at the NCO Academy, and maybe they have his portrait still around, you know the type, the type that we've seen hanging on the walls of barracks and such, depicting the chain of command of a organization.

Maybe if it's possible you can contact the folks at the NCO Academy, and maybe they have his portrait still around, you know the type, the type that we've seen hanging on the walls of barracks and such, depicting the chain of command of a organization.

Very good suggestion. I contacted the school and they provided several photos. Here are a few.

post-6880-1407433925615.jpg

post-6880-14074339675395.jpg

post-6880-14074340595028.jpg

The last photo was uploaded by mistake. It is titled "1SG Littrall at Activation Ceremony 31 Jul 78".

No biggie, it's still a great foto.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly an obituary has been found for this man. He died much too young and is buried at Arlington National Cemetary. Public records information is below.

post-6880-14083716112446.jpg

post-6880-14083716350789.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have much more information concerning this grouping. I discovered through public records that the wife and son of this soldier remain alive and live together in Florida. I learned that they were locked out of their upscale home when a loan note could not be repaid on time. The lawyer, whose wife somehow purchased the home, took possession and blocked the family from retrieving their possessions and family heirlooms. This same lawyer listed the home contents with a local auction company for sell without the knowledge of the family.

I just now spoke with the family and confirmed a few more historical facts. The soldier was indeed a member of A Troop 1/9 Cavalry "Red Scorpions". He did receive a bullet wound to the head that penetrated his flight helmet. There is no doubt that this was the helmet he wore that fateful day. He was in fact a door gunner at the time of being wounded. Earlier in his career he was an MP and held several other MOS qualifications.

I am assisting the family in retrieving all his available records from the National Archives. More importantly... I am making preparations to return all the items I purchased (if they want them) from the auction where their property was sold. I hope to travel to their home and return in person their loved ones cherished keepsakes.

DaddyDog

DaddyDog

That's extremely kind and generous of you.....I applaud your efforts.

Steve

Thanks for the comments. When I first made contact with the family and sent them some of the photos I have posted, it brought them tears of joy and remembrance. They had never seen his headstone at Arlington. I am told they feared all was tossed in the trash when the home was lost. There is indication that some other things, that had no apparent value, never made it to the auction. Some of those things were the original curriculum the CSM had written for the NCO Academy.

I have not yet told them about the auction or the things I purchased; not being deceptive, but being cautious. The last thing I want is for me to return this group just to see it resold again.

I made an offer to pay them for the privilege of accessing the archive records, they refuse to accept money, instead have gladly agreed to sign the required form requesting record copies. The sons only request was that I help recreate his fathers medals display. In the next few weeks he will be searching a storage locker to see what else can be found from his dad's service. We hope photos, letters and award certificates can be found.

I have made several attempts to contact the lawyer who now owns the home; hoping more items can be salvaged; no reply to date.

When the archive records have been received I plan to fully document the history of service of this CSM. Perhaps by Christmas, or the 25th anniversary of his death at the latest, I can properly return everything to them. When I first purchased this group my hope was to document and research everything, then make it available for veteran reunions for display. It looks like I will be able to fulfill most of that hope.