Vietnam, "Red Mike" A Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment

DaddyDog

Showing an estate sell pick up for what is believed to be from A Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment. I am in the process of researching the unit and individual. Any comments are appreciated.

DD

post-6880-0-23222800-1406948875.png

Helmet view # 4. It looks like it sustained a penetration. There is what appress to be blood residue inside the helmet.

post-6880-0-02791300-1406949235.jpg

Stetson for 1/9 Cavalry. Obviously it is his retirement rank because the helmet is marked for a Sergeant First Class.

post-6880-0-18048700-1406949803.png

Patchcollector

Neat stuff!That helmet is very cool and the patched bag is great.Looks like it may have a Japanese made River Division piece on it.

DaddyDog,

What a great group!

It was a loooooong time ago, but I don't recall Alpha Troop being called "Red Mike". I may just not remember correctly! It's possible Red Mike was his nickname or might have been his admin call sign. No matter, you have a very nice group.

Ken

VN Grunt (62nd IPCT,) 1/9, 1st CAV (Airmobile)

Athens, GA

DaddyDog,

What a great group!

It was a loooooong time ago, but I don't recall Alpha Troop being called "Red Mike". I may just not remember correctly! It's possible Red Mike was his nickname or might have been his admin call sign. No matter, you have a very nice group.

Ken

VN Grunt (62nd IPCT,) 1/9, 1st CAV (Airmobile)

Athens, GA

Ken,

I believe "Red Mike" was the informal name given to the platoon sergeants of 1st platoon. I read at the link below that they were referred to as "Red Mike", "White Mike" and "Blue Mike" respectively.

See this link for more on the subject. http://patrickbieneman.com/2011/02/25/phillip-mike-askew-charlie-trooper-1967-to-1968/

Another great link with photos for A Troop is here: http://www.vhpamuseum.org/9thcav/1stsquad/1stsquadaTroop.shtml

That's a great group. Can we see a close up of the patches?

I will show a few more items that came with the group.

post-6880-0-63844100-1406990271.jpg

If you are interested in Vietnam era items from the 1/9 cavalry, I invite you to see my latest pick up in the Flying Helmets and Accessories discussion forum area.

DaddyDog

You are Big Daddy with that grouping...A Humdinger for sure...Congrats.

I merged the two topics...