Heroes of the A.E.F. -- My D.S.C. Photo Collection

MAW

I have debated the merits of this thread for some time; and have concluded to post some of my Distinguished Service Cross portraits on the forum.

I have collected these for a long time, and am always on the lookout for images similar to those posted in this thread. Most are in the format of real photo postcards; although there are some exceptions.

The centenial of the war seems to be a good time for this thread. Remember the doughboys!

In no particular order.....here goes....

post-2778-0-85993700-1406823680.jpg

Elmer E. Feb, Company F, 28th Infantry, 1st Division

For extraordinary heroism in action near Soissons, France, July 19, 1918. He advanced on machine gun snipers on the Paris-Soissons road, showing exceptional bravery by reaching the machine gun and killing the snipers with hand grenades and automatic rifle. Home address, St. Louis, MO.

post-2778-0-13628500-1406824164.jpg

PFC. John W. Childers, Company B, 354th Infantry

For extraordinary heroism in action near Remonville, France, November 1, 1918. After all his superiors had become casualties, Pvt. Childers assumed command of the platoon, and reorganizing the scattered groups, he led them forward against great resistance and gained his objective. Home: La Grange, MO

post-2778-0-12878500-1406824581.jpg

From my favorite regiment....

Lt. Aubrey B. DeLacy, 166th Infantry, 42nd Division

For extraordinary heroism in action near Haumont, France, September 27, 1918. Leading a patrol into the town to ascertain whether or not it was still occupied by the enemy, Lieut. DeLacy came under heavy machine gun fire. Against greatly superior numbers he continued forward and, entering the town, took two prisoners, from whom he gained valuable information. Home: New York, NY

post-2778-0-65337600-1406825666.jpg

1st Sgt. Curtis M. Crisp

Company F, 130th infantry, 33rd Division

For extraordinary heroism in action at Marcheville, France, November 10, 1918. When all the company runners had been wounded during a raid by his battalion, Sergt. Crisp volunteered to establish liaison with an adjacent company. While going through a heavy barrage under sniper fire from three directions, he was knocked unconscious by the concussion of a bursting shell. Upon recovering, he succeeded in killing a sniper who was picking off men and had wounded his company commander. Though unable to stand, Sergt. Crisp insisted on remaining on duty with his company. Home: Pariah, IL

post-2778-0-99657800-1406826663.jpg

Unidentified lieutenant, 26th Division.

There are so many Yankee Division unit histories out there....I bet someone knows who he is.

I will post more images soon....

daniel griffin

Great photos and an interesting collection. Thanks for posting them, looking forward to seeing more.

post-2778-0-03841400-1406900155.jpg

The caption on the back of this photo says... "I had this taken down at the office one day last week. It is a picture, that is all. We can not get men like Mr. Chase to fix us up over here. I am feeling fine....hope this finds all the same at home. Your loving son, Hugh

A patch photo that came with this one links "Hugh" to the 9th Infantry.....and research indicates that this is Lt. Hugh F. Edwards

9th Infantry, 2nd Division

His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism in action while serving with the 9th Infantry Regiment, 2d Division, A.E.F., near Vaux on July 1, 1918. Lieutenant Edwards led his platoon against heavy machine gun fire, silenced several machine guns, established his guns at his objective, repelled a counterattack on his left flank, and personally killed two of the enemy. Home: Hamilton, KS

post-2778-0-88006500-1406923703.jpg

Chaplain William E. Patrick

23rd Infantry, 2nd Division

For extraordinary heroism in action while serving with the 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2d Division, A.E.F., during operations on the Meuse River, France, November 1--11, 1918. during this period Chaplain Patrick constantly exposed himself to enemy fire, while giving first aid to the wounded and assisting in their evacuation. Home: Boston, Mass.

The caption on the back is written in period ink, and says that he served with the 23rd Infantry until March 17, 1919; then transferred to the 5th MG Battalion.

post-2778-0-36086700-1406924506.jpg

Sgt. Albert Dietz

Company I, 59th Infantry, 4th Division

"...in the Bois-de-Fays, France, October 6th, 1918. When one of Sgt. Dietz's men was wounded and his clothing and bandolier of ammunition caught fire, he cried for help, and Sgt. Dietz left a place of safety and, regardless of personal safety, went through intense machine gun fire and rescued him. Home: Vincennes, Indiana.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and interest.

I have pursued these for a long time....and I'm always on the lookout.

More will follow.... :)