WWII 201st Infantry Grouping Aleutian Islands Grouping?

devincu

Hey Gents, I just picked up this grouping to a man who was with the 201st Infantry Regiment during WWII. The family member who I got it from said they knew very little about his service other then he was in Alaska. There is a sterling silver I.D. bracelet that is engraved with his name / asn number and on the back Co. F 201st Inf. There is also orders showing that they were attached to the 30th FA in 1942. I have tried to find info on the 201st Infantry without much luck. The reason I was thinking that they might have seen action in the Aleutians is the neat pillow cover that shows a bear throwing projectiles at the islands with a Japanese flag. I was hoping someone on the forum would know if the 201st IR might have seen action there or where I might find some info on the regiment.

Thanks

Devin

post-59872-0-93655100-1406690207.jpg

• 3 years later...

My grandpa was in the 201st infantry during WWII and he spent time in the Aleutian islands. Kodiak is the one I recall him telling us the most about. He has a scrapbook of photos and I've seen similar to that photo with the bearskin...so I wouldn't doubt it was taken in the Aleutians if they were in the 201st. He also has a patch like the blue circle one with a bears head. Was there something in particular you wanted to know about? My grandpa doesn't do the internet, but I showed him your post and he said he'd be happy to talk to you if you wanted. He's 95 years young now, but still sharp as a tack and has just as good a memory as I do, lol.

Extracted from Stanton's WW2 Order of Battle- 201st Infantry Regiment (non-divisional), West Virginia National Guard

Jan 41 Inducted into Federal service, sent to Ft. Benjamin Harrison, IN, assigned to Second US Army

Sep 1941 depart Seattle Port of Embarkation

Sep 1941 arrive Kodiak, AK

Nov 1942 transfer to Adak Island

Jan 1943 transfer to Amchitka

Mar 1944 depart Alaska

Apr 1944 arrive Camp Carson, CO, assigned to XVI Corps

Jul 1944 assigned to XXXVI Corps

Sep 1944 arrive Ft. Jackson, SC, assigned to IX Corps

Sep 1944 assigned to XXIII Corps

Mar 1945 arrive Camp Rucker, AL, assigned to Replacement & School Command

Sep 1945 inactivated

One campaign credit- Aleutian Islands