What's in a name....

emccomas

...or better yet, what IS the name.

Here is a couple of pictures of a United Daughters of the Confederacy Historical Medal, which was awarded to the named individual in 1913 for historical research / essay.

My problem is that I cannot quite make out the actual name of the recipient.

The font of the name is Old English italicized.

What I can make out for sure is: ?assie ?. Terrell. The letters for the two questions marks are what I am wondering about.

I think the first letter is the first name is one of the following: B H K M

I think the middle initial is one of the following: F L

Any thoughts. If you know for sure, please also post a picture of the Old English font for that letter. I have looked at all of the Old English letters, and nothing "clearly" matches up.

The first letter of the first name is absolutely is NOT any of the following: A C D E F G I J L N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

The middle initial is absolutely NOT any of the following: A B C D E G H I J K M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

OK, what is the name

post-12036-0-29061400-1406665017.jpg

post-12036-0-02633100-1406665023.png

Hassle Johnson married Andrew Barnett Terrell. ..at work and cannot dig into it...they were in Florida. That could be a connection. Hassle F Terrell?

Hassle Johnson married Andrew Barnett Terrell. ..at work and cannot dig into it...they were in Florida. That could be a connection. Hassle F Terrell?

It sure looks like it! I think you found the name.

...Kat

Could be. This medal was awarded by the Alabama Charter Chapter (A. C. C.) of the UDC

I think you are saying Hassie. The letter before the e in the first name is definitely a lower case i.

I'll dig into it and see what I come up with.

Hassie Johnson Terrell died in 1903. Andrew Barnett Terrell dies in 1910. Could not have been her for a 1913 award. Perhaps a child.

OK, I think I have it...

Hassie E. Terrell, born 1897 in Alabama. In 1910 and 1920 she lived in Auburn, AL. Father was W E Terrell. Mother was Lela A. Terrell.

Hassie Terrell married a man named Charles R Hixon sometime between 1913 and 1920. She died in Montgomery, AL in 1931.

That makes sense, as she would be about 16 years old in 1913. The UDC awarded these historical medals to students that contributed significantly to the historical research and understanding of the Confederacy.

This award was for research / essay on Morgan S. Gilmer, a University of Alabama student that left the university in 1864 to fight for the Confederacy. He later informally formed a group of young people into an organization caller the Yellowhammers (the name of the Alabama state bird).

The front of the medal has a depiction of a Yellowhammer bird, and the name Morgan S. Gilmer U. C. V. (United Confederate Veterans).

My goal now is to see if I can locate a copy of the essay.

OK, I think I have it...

Hassie E. Terrell, born 1897 in Alabama. In 1910 and 1920 she lived in Auburn, AL. Father was W E Terrell. Mother was Lela A. Terrell.

Hassie Terrell married a man named Charles R Hixon sometime between 1913 and 1920. She died in Montgomery, AL in 1931.

That makes sense, as she would be about 16 years old in 1913. The UDC awarded these historical medals to students that contributed significantly to the historical research and understanding of the Confederacy.

This award was for research / essay on Morgan S. Gilmer, a University of Alabama student that left the university in 1864 to fight for the Confederacy. He later informally formed a group of young people into an organization caller the Yellowhammers (the name of the Alabama state bird).

The front of the medal has a depiction of a Yellowhammer bird, and the name Morgan S. Gilmer U. C. V. (United Confederate Veterans).

My goal now is to see if I can locate a copy of the essay.

Good work...it was supposed to be a ' i' ...

Great research guys! But I was really wowed by the quality of the engraving, fantastic! What's on the other side of the medal?

DakotaDave

Here is the front...

This medal is 14K gold, and is sold for less than melt value. I was pleasantly surprised.

The text is MORGAN S. GILMER UCV around the yellowhammer bird perched on a hammer

post-12036-0-52905300-1406722388.jpg

The obit of Morgan S Gilmer

Morgan S. Gilmer was born in Lowndes County, Ala., November 30, 1846, a son of George N. and Caroline Smith Gilmer, and died September 16, 1914, in Brevard, N. C., where he had gone to spend the summer in search of health. He was a resident of Montgomery, Ala, and a member of the Court Street Methodist Church, of which he was a trustee. His life was one of consecrated piety. He was married twice, his first wife being Pattie Barton, and his second, her sister, Helen Barton, who, with one daughter, Mrs. Pattie Gilmer Owen, survives him.

Morgan Gilmer left the University of Alabama in the early days of 1864 with a company of cadets who were anxious to fight for their country, although the were only sixteen or seventeen years old.

As first lieutenant in the same company, the writer can truthfully say the Comrade Gilmer made a gallant soldier, always ready for duty, however arduous or perilous. He did not know the meaning of the word "fear." Several years before his death he organized a band of children, the sons and daughters of Confederate veterans, twenty-six in number, and named them "The Yaller-Hammers," the nickname of the Alabama soldiers in the war. Comrade Gilmer was proud of this little band and took them to every Confedeate reunion, where they were always accorded a place in the parades and attracted their full share of attention. The Yaller-Hammers met with one of the saddest losses of their lives when their beloved commander died; for they loved him, and he loved them.

Morgan S. Gilmer was elected to the office of assessor of taxes for Montgomery County, Ala., and was serving his second term when he died. He was loved by all who knew him well and was regarded as a model Christian.

Source: Confederate Veteran Magazine, Feb 1916

DakotaDave

I am thinking that this medal was suspended from "something", but I have no idea what. I can see a slight indentation on the underside of the upper loop.

Has anyone seen anything else like this?