Question on WWII Map symbols

grapefruitable6

grapefruitable6
I am working on a WWII project specific to Operation Dragoon, and in reviewing the period maps for beach 264-A (Camel Green Beach, landing zone for the 36th INF), I see several instances of this map symbol:
It almost looks like an INF symbol, but not quite if you look closely. This symbol is conspicuously absent from the map key, and I'm trying to figure out what it is. I've done my homework, and I dont see this symbol on any map keys from that era or even after it. It's worth mentioning that several of these have numerals next to them which (I think) usually indicates how many guns are present at [Map Symbol].. Is this maybe meant to show a house with a gabled roof with 'x' amount of [weapon type] emplacements, or something else entirely?
Thanks!

Military map symbols have changed somewhat throughout the years.

My 1970-dated copy of FM 21-30 Military Symbols, does not show the symbol in your link.

I don't think this is a unit symbol based on how it is positioned on the big map, and how in at least one instance, the outline is sort of trapezoidal in shape. My first thought when I saw it was that it was a symbol for a bunker or large building.

You might try googling FM 21-30 or military symbols and seeing what you can find. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I seem to recall using that symbol (without the box) as a cleared lane through an obstacle. Enemy symbols often had a box around them. Just a guess. If I could see more detail in the photo (can only zoom in one level) it might help.

grapefruitable6

Yeah, heres a better picture:

http://i.imgur.com/HU0FMRV.jpg

And heres these real-world positions today on Google Earth:

Interestingly, the box denoted with a "6" actually straddles a road/path. However, the others do not, although they do sit next to what appears to be major roadways that would lead into the city of St. Raphael from green beach. It's likely far-fetched, but might this indicate a "roadblock" symbol encapsulated by a rectangle to indicate that its manned by Infantry?

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you have key to map symbols on the back of the map. Most D-Day maps have them on the backside. I reprinted several of my D-Day maps of U.S. Sector of Normandy. These were the areas of Omaha Beach, (Vierville and Colleville), where Special Engineers, 29th Division and 1st Division, along with 3 companies of 2nd Rangers and 5th Ranger Battalion landed. Also St Pierre du Mont (Pt du Hoc), Grandcamp, St Marie du Mont, Isigny and Ste Mere Eglise. All of these mapsheets have a key on the back with a zillion designations.

Tim

www.ww2dday.com

grapefruitable6

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, the map key for the smybols is present, and details each and every other defensive position on the key (MG nests, slit trenches, AA guns etc). Oddly missing is anything defining the symbol I posted however.

I'm now wondering if this symbol was meant to designate something like an enemy garrison in tents, maybe...I've asked several historians and haven't been able to find anyone that knows for certain though.

It's a Symbol for Airfield. Last night while reading After the Battle Magazines article on the battle for Cherbourg it had a reproduced US Army map and the box was marked.

I'd post a pic but cant be bothered to read through the 50 stickys from 2003 onwards which no longer are applicable