River Division 554 PBR Boat Captain's USN Knife - Vietnam

River Patrol

River Patrol

This came from a large PBR grouping in my possession. The boat captain used this knife for multiple purposes but the most interesting is a notch near the tip. At first I just thought it was an accidental damage but after interviewing him I learned that it was his design used to "hot shot" a stalled engine or pump. I'm not sure of the details involved but this is what was relayed to me. Contact tape is deteriorating on the sheath but it's not dry yet.

IMG_20140728_220319.jpg

IMG_20140728_220404.jpg

Interesting indeed. I was in the MPs in Nam and we had PBRs (Patrol Boat River) assigned to us to work the Saigon River. I only got on it a couple times - wasn't quite like Charlie Sheen heading up river into Cambodia in the movie.

I actually saw a relic PBR someone had salvaged in Portland in 2013.

Interesting indeed. I was in the MPs in Nam and we had PBRs (Patrol Boat River) assigned to us to work the Saigon River. I only got on it a couple times - wasn't quite like Charlie Sheen heading up river into Cambodia in the movie.

I actually saw a relic PBR someone had salvaged in Portland in 2013.

you mean Martin sheen [Capt Willard] ? :)

thats a very interesting piece of Vietnam Brown water navy history, an actual carry knife that was used by a PBR sailor with provenance.

River Patrol

you mean Martin sheen [Capt Willard] ? :)

thats a very interesting piece of Vietnam Brown water navy history, an actual carry knife that was used by a PBR sailor with provenance.

Yes, I'm actually still in contact with the original owner.