• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Howard Kelley

Howard Kelley
  • Members
    • Member ID: 389
  • 672 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

Grenade Pouch, only markings to top flap.

Leg ties are inside the lower section.

Enjoy,
Howard

DSC04256.JPG

#2 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

That is very interesting, Howard. That is the first one I have seen with USMC markings.

Here is a 2-cell Marine Corps pouch in my collection that never got around to being issued. It still has its cutter tag attached.

Charlie Flick

USMCGrenPouch2.jpg

USMCGrenPouch.jpg

#3 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

I bought one like Charlie's from a guy on ebay who said he bought a large quantity of them mint with cutter tags back in the early '60's when the Marines were doing some housecleaning and selling off a lot of surplus gear. Apparently, those came out too late to see wide issuance in WW2 and the Marines had a glut of them mostly unused. Which makes me skeptical of those with "USMC" stencil. Could be period done by an individual Marine or could be done by a surplus dealer to enhance the value....but definitely not factory done.

#4 Howard Kelley

Howard Kelley
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

I bought one like Charlie's from a guy on ebay who said he bought a large quantity of them mint with cutter tags back in the early '60's when the Marines were doing some housecleaning and selling off a lot of surplus gear. Apparently, those came out too late to see wide issuance in WW2 and the Marines had a glut of them mostly unused. Which makes me skeptical of those with "USMC" stencil. Could be period done by an individual Marine or could be done by a surplus dealer to enhance the value....but definitely not factory done.

Hello Greg,

I think you hit the nail on the head!

Original piece, but who stenciled the U.S.M.C. to the flap?

Don't think we'll ever know for 100%, but I do Agree it's not factory applied.

S/F,
Howard

#5 Howard Kelley

Howard Kelley
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:27 PM

That is very interesting, Howard. That is the first one I have seen with USMC markings.

Here is a 2-cell Marine Corps pouch in my collection that never got around to being issued. It still has its cutter tag attached.

Charlie Flick

Hi Charlie,

GREAT POUCH!

Thanks for sharing!

Best,
Howard

#6 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 115
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:21 AM

Alot of Korean War era USMC web gear was marked USMC on the exterior, like shovel and canteen covers. I know of alot! of web gear that has been embelished with the USMC stamp by others in order to get a bigger buck out of it. Doesn't it burn your bacon to see this? I've actually seen it done to original USMC items that would have brought alot more without the stamping.

The USMC stamping on this grenade pouch doesn't look like any of the ones that I have seen by people enhancing the product. It does look like the Korean era stamping a little.

Cheers!
Marc

#7 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:32 AM

Alot of Korean War era USMC web gear was marked USMC on the exterior, like shovel and canteen covers. I know of alot! of web gear that has been embelished with the USMC stamp by others in order to get a bigger buck out of it. Doesn't it burn your bacon to see this? I've actually seen it done to original USMC items that would have brought alot more without the stamping.

The USMC stamping on this grenade pouch doesn't look like any of the ones that I have seen by people enhancing the product. It does look like the Korean era stamping a little.

Cheers!
Marc

I just looked at my 1952 USMC marked canteen cover and the fonts used are very similar to those used on that pouch. So the never say "never" rule still applies. If it were Korean War manufactured I seriously doubt they'd have used that color shade since by then the dark OD was pretty much standard. But then I've owned some USMC Korean War uniform items that were odd color shades although it was usually a case of the color not being visible when the item was worn.

Greg

#8 Howard Kelley

Howard Kelley
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

I just looked at my 1952 USMC marked canteen cover and the fonts used are very similar to those used on that pouch. So the never say "never" rule still applies. If it were Korean War manufactured I seriously doubt they'd have used that color shade since by then the dark OD was pretty much standard. But then I've owned some USMC Korean War uniform items that were odd color shades although it was usually a case of the color not being visible when the item was worn.

Greg

Might have been left over W.W.2 surplus, put into service in Korea....?

HLK.

#9 earlymb

earlymb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:00 AM

I just picked up this pouch on a fair yesterday, and although USMC stuff is not my field of expertise I know it is not so common here in Europe. This pouch is in mint, unissued condition and has no markings. I paid 7,50 (about $10.00) for it, which seems a decent price. The seller had 2, and a friend bought the other one. Since it was his first day as a militaria collector I think he got a good start! :D

http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ktrbeurs250307004pl9.jpg http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ktrbeurs250307005uk6.jpg

Greetz ;)

David

#10 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:28 AM

Definitively USMC markings on Howard pouch doesn't look stenciled yesterday then korean period seems to be the answer.

#11 TomV

TomV
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,865
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:50 AM

Hey guys,

I bumped into this old thread while searching the forums.
A little while ago I ended up with a similar pouch in a trade.

The upper pouch has a U.S. mark.
There is another stamp at the back side BOYT 1943.

Can anyone tell me how this pouch is called (Double Grenade Pouch???).
When were they introduced?

Thanks!

Tom

pouch1.JPG

#12 TomV

TomV
  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

picture of the back side

pouch_3.JPG

#13 Armed 2 tha Teeth

Armed 2 tha Teeth
  • Members
    • Member ID: 763
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

picture of the back side

pouch_3.JPG

Sorry to tell you this, but your pouch is a mangled original USMC grenade pouch. It is a USMC two cell grenade pouch (as indicated by the two cells and USMC style belt hook) which someone put a bad U.S. stamp on, and even added a BOYT stamp which is unlike any other I've seen.

#14 TomV

TomV
  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for your reply and the information.
So this is an original USMC grenade pouch. When was it manufactured? WW2?
Why would someone put a stamp like this on it http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif ...

#15 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

It was made in the WW2 years. Some dealer has added the ink stamps in an attempt to sell it. This was done long ago when these pouches were considered surplus rather than collectibles.

#16 TomV

TomV
  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

So he actually de-valued the item by putting a stamp on it, right? :rolleyes:
Too bad...

#17 Armed 2 tha Teeth

Armed 2 tha Teeth
  • Members
    • Member ID: 763
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

So he actually de-valued the item by putting a stamp on it, right? :rolleyes:
Too bad...

Unfortunately yes, it is a shame to because the pouch is in such good shape. It is practically worthless now.

#18 TomV

TomV
  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

Many thanks again!

#19 dartheric1

dartheric1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,530
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

Might have been left over W.W.2 surplus, put into service in Korea....?

HLK.

If you're reffering to the Canteen cover being WWII surplus, the USMC marked M1945 Canteen covers were actually only produced in 1952. I have one myself :thumbsup:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users