uniforms issued to German POWs in the US.

mmerc20

What type of uniforms did the German POWs wear when here in the US? I don't know if there was a standard uniform issued but have seen various examples with "POW" or "PW" painted like the example pictured.

Can you tell what type this is?

Mike

post-3373-0-47972700-1405909893.jpg

In some instances they were issued US Army clothing stenciled/painted with "PW" in large letters......at one time I had a khaki summer weight shirt that had PW in large letters stenciled on the back, with smaller letters on the front chest.

Mark sends

There was a book from about 20 years ago. I think it was "Americas Concentration Camps" about German POW s in the US. Lots of pics. I had an uncle by marriage who had a cousin in one of them. The cousin was Africa Corps , and the camp was about 30 miles from my uncles farm. Aunt& uncle would go visit on Sundays

They could wear their german uniform when no working (if they still had it). Otherwise they wore used US Army items with the PW painted on it. There was no "special" POW uniform if that's what you are asking.

You will often see old or out dated uniforms as well.There is a WW1 era cotton jacket on display at a museum with PW markings from a local camp.Even a lot of the older denim work uniforms were worn.

I own a M41 field jacket with markings.

Here is a uniform set worn by a German POW in Mississippi. This example is the blue denim work fatigues. For the blue uniforms, the markings were to be in contrasting white. If interested, I have the official specs as to size and placement of the "PW" markings. Because the prisoners applied the stenciling themselves, there are variations on placement.

post-211-0-23794600-1405998565.jpg

post-211-0-98092000-1405998626.jpg

post-211-0-84470700-1405998697.jpg

The khaki summer uniforms were marked in black. Here is a photo of Mississippi POWs wearing examples of both.

post-211-0-01379800-1405999549.jpg

I think there is a thread somewhere on the forum where members showed different POW clothing.

Here is an example that I have of a 41 field jacket with POW markings.

post-203-0-26382500-1406027371.jpg post-203-0-86422900-1406027371.jpg

everforward

I think there is a thread somewhere on the forum where members showed different POW clothing.

attachicon.gifPOW FRONT.jpg attachicon.gifPOW BACK.jpg

In my early days of reenacting in the late 70's (when all you had was original gear) there were loads of really nice M41 filed jackets floating around with the PW stencil. They were ultra cheap 'cause no one wanted one with a PW on it, lol.....

In my early days of reenacting in the late 70's (when all you had was original gear) there were loads of really nice M41 filed jackets floating around with the PW stencil. They were ultra cheap 'cause no one wanted one with a PW on it, lol.....

You are absolutely right! I bought mine in the early '80s. I was researching a local POW camp and thought it would make a nice addition to a display.

I know someone had a uniform for sale awhile ago on the forums but I'm thinking I might make one for display at the museum. What type of uniform is the soldier wearing in the initial photo I posted?

Mike

I know someone had a uniform for sale awhile ago on the forums but I'm thinking I might make one for display at the museum. What type of uniform is the soldier wearing in the initial photo I posted?

Mike

It looks like a standard EM's OD wool shirt and garrison cap. Not sure on the trousers. They could also be OD wool, but might be blue denim. They often used a mish-mash of uniforms based on what was available.

attachicon.gifPOW FRONT.jpg attachicon.gifPOW BACK.jpg

I remember seeing a similar PoW M-41 FJ at the old Kaufmann's on B'way in 1980.

I remember seeing a similar PoW M-41 FJ at the old Kaufmann's on B'way in 1980.

Back in the time frame of 1978-1982 there were several surplus adds in the ShotGun News magazine.At least three of these had the M41s with the PW markings.One I recall was Woodhavens.

Not sure where mine came from.I gave less than $20 for it.

Woodhaven Antiques in Queens... I bought some good stuff over there. I remember Sam had dozens of experimental helmets of the M-1 in his basement.

I researched the local POW camps where I grew up in Florida, many of them were wearing the pre-war blue denims. I found several photos of some of them wearing Afrika Korps headgear as well. And yes, while some were working, too. I have a shot around here somewhere of a guy wearing a full AK uniform on a work site at a logging camp during the war, while working.

Jon is right, though, in that wearing German uniforms off duty was really common, especially in the south. But that wasn't the same everywhere, I've researched POW camps in the Northwest and can't find many photos at all of them wearing anything for US stuff marked "PW" in all cases.

Still kicking myself that I didn't buy more PW marked stuff when it was so cheap back in the day...

everforward

Woodhaven Antiques in Queens... I bought some good stuff over there. I remember Sam had dozens of experimental helmets of the M-1 in his basement.

Oh boy, they were great. Had great stuff and it was cheap too. Unissued Jeep Caps for $5.00....yikes..! I remember them from the WW2 event that was held at Ft. Meade in the late 70's-early 80's....

Ah Woodhaven, the Mecca where the US reenactor could walk in with $100 and walk out outfitted head to toe in all original stuff. ($6 boots!)

Unless you ordered by mail, in which case you'd quite possibly get some crappy paint stained item. You'd send it back and he'd make some apology and send you a decent one.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I wanted to bring this topic back up. Here is a recent find of mine. It is a 41 field jacket with the PW stenciling done. The field jacket came from Montana. There were some POW camps and Italian Service Unit camps around Billings, Montana during WW2. The manufacturers tag is still in the pocket but has been wash faded.

post-5554-0-64323000-1506175944.jpg

post-5554-0-69949600-1506175959.jpg

post-5554-0-79013000-1506175972.jpg

Leigh